Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: List of all ilnesses you were certain you had.

Re: List of all ilnesses you were certain you had.

Ovarian cancer (IBS or just wind, although did have thick uterus lining on one investigation so just had to have a procedure to remove, no issues)
    Bladder cancer (just inflammation of bladder)
    Brain tumour (blocked sinuses or just anxiety)
    Breast cancer (dense breast tissue)
    Bowel cancer (again, just IBS or wind)
    Spinal tumour (muscular pain)
    Melanoma (scratched a mole and made it bleed)
    Stomach cancer (nothing)
    Appendicitis (trapped wind)
    Pancreatic cancer - this is the current fear, current actual diagnosis is pancreatitis but not sure of cause

bowel cancer, ibs, or small non cancerous common pouch on small bowel.

testicle cancer

penile cancer

brain tumours

eye cancer

oral cancer

bladder cancer

skin cancer

skin failure

anal cancer

kidney cancer

plus others, even more worrying oral types of cancer females can get even though I am a male

There have been many threads like this through the years. While I do feel it can be beneficial to lay out a list and see how none of it has come to fruition and how irrational they are, at the same time, it also has you focusing on them and influenced by other's fears. I just see it as a double edged sword. Most of those responding are still in the cycle of fearing one disease or another.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Hey Fish, long time no see!

Man, first time on this forum in years, guess things haven’t changed much. It’s interesting how when I am actually going through some benign health things now, I’m not cruising the google machine in search of answers. Some of you may know me, most of you are newcomers, and a shout out to josh if he sees this response (promise it’s my only one for another x amount of years...thought I’d just humor myself for a few minutes as I wait to go in for an mri! And don’t worry anxious peeps, it’s just a routine check for a benign pineal cyst I’ve had for god knows how long).

But here’s my massive list (that I’ve all recovered from when it comes to health anxiety with a lot of patience, talking to senior members on this forum such as Fish and a few other heavy hitters—-listen to them, they’re full of wisdom—-and practicing mindfulness as well as taking my medication as prescribed).

1) MS (nothing)
    2) brain tumor x2 (nothing)
    3) heart attack (nothing)
    4) dissected carotid artery (nothing)
    5) impending stroke (nothing)
    6) leukemia (nothing)
    7) ovarian cancer/cervical cancer (pelvic floor dysfunction)
    8) schizophrenia (anxiety and ocd)
    9) ALS (the longest and most drawn out of the hypochondriac episodes...a year and a half wasted on fear for nothing).
    10) IBDs or Crohns (nothing)

So to all the people reading this thread, the likelihood that you are right is essentially 0%. Listen to your doctors, listen to the people who have OVERCOME health anxiety, and most importantly: don’t listen to the lies your brain is formulating based on an intense reaction to the cortisol pumping through your system.

I’ll see ya in another few years maybe, maybe not. But to all the people that have consistently messaged me during my long hiatus: I’m still alive and kicking, and no you don’t have disease a, b, and c.

Lol, I just wrote about this in my book (link at bottom in case anyone wants to buy it :-) Currently it is a mixture of various types of stomach/colon/bowel who knows/ cancer, and/r histoplasmosis (a nasty fungal infection from poultry dust, most likely sinus infection).

This is a list of about 50 years of health anxiety. Each bullet point has the symptom, my diagnosis and what it really was
    • Bitten by rat - Rabies- Anxiety from rat bite
    • Bitten by dog- Rabies- Dog bite (dog still alive)
    • Pins & needles & dizziness- Snake bite (nonexistent)- Hyperventilation & anxiety
    • Palpitations- Heart attack- Anxiety
    • Palpitations- Heart attack- Panic attack
    • Palpitations- Heart attack- PAC (still might kill me!)
    • Horrible black spot- Merkel Cell Carcinoma- Infected splinter
    • White mark on foot- Melanoma- Scar
    • Horrible looking mole- Melanoma- Freckle
    • Lump on thigh- Sarcoma- Lipoma
    • Red pee- Cancer- Beetroot
    • Yellow pee- Cancer- Berocca
    • Smelly pee- Cancer- Asparagus
    • Red poo- Cancer- Too much beetroot
    • Red poo- Cancer- Fell on bum & cut skin
    • Vaginal bleeding- Cancer- (very infrequent) post-menopausal sex & no lube
    • Sore ribs & back- Liver cancer- Bad posture & anxiety
    • Sore jaw- Tetanus- Grinding teeth from anxiety
    • Sore jaw- Cancer- Tooth infection
    • Swollen lymph glands- Cancer- Tooth abscess
    • Lump on arm- Nodular melanoma- Pimple
    • Lump in boob- Cancer- Fibroadenoma
    • Back pain- Cancer- Bad posture & anxiety (but the jury is still out lol)
    • Back pain- Cancer- Lifting a piano!
    • Back pain- Cancer- Hiking 300km over the Alps and not training
    • Back pain- Cancer- Falling & twisting back
    • Chin hairs not growing fast- Something fatal no doubt- Age
    • Nails with ridges- Something fatal no doubt- Age
    • Black rings under eyes- Something fatal no doubt- Sleeping with cats
    • Nasty black spot- Kaposi’s Sarcoma- Cigarette burn
    • Lump under arm- Cancer- Infected hair follicle
    • Headache- Cancer- Flu/ Sinus
    • Headache- Cancer- Red wine
    • Stomach problems- Cancer- Gas
    • Stomach problems- Cancer- Zoloft
    • Wheezing- Adult onset Asthma- Crying whilst running a marathon (was tired)
    • Couldn’t breathe properly in night- Lung cancer- Panic attack
    • Diarrhea- Cancer- Anxiety/ Zoloft
    • Frequent bruising- Cancer- Being clumsy

(What are You Dying From This Week - https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-are-dy...dp/B07M8H1DRH/)
    Last edited by eshu55; 29-01-19 at 10:33. Reason: thought of something else

Mine started at the age of 5...

5:
    Brain attack (vertigo panic attack). Was rushed to the ER later that evening. Diagnosed with a panic disorder. Parents were told not to expose me to any negative television.

6-9:
    Brain tumor (saw a episode of ER where a main doctor was diagnosed after getting severely dizzy. I applied that to myself and assumed the dizziness was a brain tumor)

10-12:
    AIDS (thought because I kissed a boy when I was 6 that I had AIDS. I missed 2 weeks of school and 10lbs. Was convinced I was dying)

12:
    Fatal Familial Insomnia (saw a documentary on tv. Didn't sleep for 4 days)

13-14:
    Psychosis/dizzy spells/brain cancer

15:
    Fatal Familial Insomnia again (5 days)

16-19 was relatively mild. I call it my 'freedom' years.

20: AIDS/Urethral cancer (bled out of urethra after heavy sex. Guy also claimed he slept with 30 women)

21-22:
    AIDS (boyfriend had symptoms of ARS 2 weeks after we first had sex)

23:
    Breast cancer/cervical cancer (lump in boob, lump on cervix. I was so freaked out by this that i went from 120 lbs to 95lbs in 3 weeks. I barely ate, slept all day, was on the computer looking it up all night. Ended up being a normal cervix and fat encrusted lymph node in breast.)

24/25:
    Fatal insomnia (1 week and 8 days the next time. Both resulted in hallucinations and paranoia. Resolved itself)

AIDS (white patches in mouth. Normal variation)

26: melanoma of foot and stomach (had a black spot on foot and new mole on stomach)

27: Eyelid cancer / Molluscum Contagiosum (chalazion on lower eyelid for 2 years and dimpled eczema )

29-31:
    ALS (fascics, left arm weakness. Diagnosed BFS)
    Parasites
    Fatal Insomnia (didn't resolve for 2 weeks)
    CJD
    Pancreatic Cancer (pain in that area, nothing)
    Ovarian Cancer (large ovarian cyst)
    Ear canal Cancer (bleeding in ear, resolved)
    Malignant Blue Nevus (bleeding nevus on hand, never grew tho)
    Stomach Cancer (churning pain, heartburn, burping up coffee grounds. All went away with anxiety)
    Peritonitis (pain near appendix. CT showed nothing)
    Heart attack (sharp left arm pain, check pain. ER determined gas)
    Gallstones (nothing)
    Mal de debarquement (Severe bobbing feeling. Occasional oscillopsia. Exasterbated by motion)
    Burning skin of unknown cause
    Melanoma metastasis (perceived new halo around all my moles)
    AAA (actually, my primary requested I get my abdomen urgently checked cause of a visible pulse. It wasnt a previous worry...but it sure was after! Ultrasound the next day confirmed I was normal. It was cause Im skinny)
    Neck Aneurysm (pain in neck)
    Brain aneurysm (headache for days)
    My current worry is CJD (memory issues, speech issues, typing issues, word finding issues, tremors, jerks, weight loss, and Fasics)

Brain Aneurysm
    Brain tumor
    Blocked arteries in neck

all my anxieties focus around the head and neck because I have whooshing in my ear on neck movement. I am seeing a consultant next week so hopefully I can get some answers that may calm down my health anxiety.

Brain tumour
    Brain aneurysm
    Multiple sclerosis
    Lymphoma
    Leukaemia
    Breast cancer
    Dementia
    Pulmonary embolism
    Heart attack
    Heart disease
    Tonsils cancer 😩😩😩😩

That’s over the last 7 years

Oh gosh, for me it goes way back...

It initially started with:

Rabies:

My outside cat got rabies and had to be put down. My brother and I didn't go near him and did not have a need for shots; my mother had open wounds on her hand when she changed his water dish so she opted for the shots. She's fine. We're all fine. But that was my first fear (not quite so irrational either at the time) and I waited slowly for my death, begging for the shots, at 15 years old.

Brain tumor:

At 16 years old I began getting insane dizzy spells. Panic didn't help. Inner ear was fine. Brain showed some white matter lesions consistent with migraine syndrome/aura. I convinced myself I was dying and dropped out of college at 18 to "spend the time I had left" with my family. They were less than thrilled

AIDS:

Dated someone sketchy and my tongue felt funny. That's it, but that's all it took to spiral super hard down that path.

Colon cancer:

Blood in stool and stomach pains at 23 years old. Got a colonoscopy and upper endoscopy. I'm fine - IBS and hemorrhoids.

Meningitis:

It was pneumonia. Actually, 3x. It was AWFUL - but it was not meningitis and I turned out to be just fine (though once I was hospitalized due to lack of fluids and messed up kidneys - pneumonia is no joke, get your shots guys).

Brain tumor (again!):

Got very sick on vacation in California (I'm from NY). Went to 2 emergency rooms, they said it was a stomach flu. I kept shaking. It was clearly from panic; finally got on a plane back home and made it to my neurologist. Which leads me to...

MS:

The neurologist found white matter lesions consistent with the ones I had at 16 years old, but in different spots. I was shaking, numb, dizzy, hot, sweaty, tired, sensitive to heat, etc. He said it may be MS. I refused a spinal tap (at 31 years old) and the doc said we could wait for another flare up. Eventually the white matter lesions faded and the doc thinks I may have had encephalitis (super high SED rate - 80 - fell to 30 when I started feeling better months later, symptoms began to slowly fade).

Esophageal cancer:

Trouble swallowing (also a symptom of MS! fun for me, you guys). I'd had it for quite awhile but never noticed until one day I choked on soup (soup!). My husband got concerned and told me to get checked out. Barium swallow later, I'm 100% fine. It's just in my head - when I think about swallowing, I can't swallow. As long as I mindlessly eat, I'm fine.

Pancreatic cancer:

Turned out to be heartburn.

Sarcoma:

Lipoma in thigh (though this is new and I'm still down a rabbit hole on this one). Also found another lump in front of shin on other leg, but this seems associated with a bruise. I've had it for weeks, but I tend to heal slowly, so I'm not yet worried about it.

Metastatic cancer that has spread to brain, or spinal cord, or mandible - or all three!:

Numbness/tingling in front of left leg - doc took x-ray said I have degenerative disc disease in lower lumbar, which can cause pins/needles in thigh. Also numbness/tingling in jaw/chin (never ever ever look this up). Doc says it's most likely due to anxiety, or dry skin, or even paresthesia from cervical area degenerative spinal issues, but has referred me to a neurologist (my old one retired!) to get an MRI because I am actually an insane person who has called her 2x a week for the past month due to my lumps/tingling.

Also not convinced that the left-sided numbness isn't an MS flare-up and the diagnosis is around the corner.

(also I hate MRIs you guys)

Wow, this makes me feel a lot less alone.

1. All types of cancer (due to strange ache under my rib cage/pains in my back ... eventually, when it had gone on and off for years, I realized it would've killed me by then so just relaxed ... I suspect it was muscular or minor ulcers)

2. Ectopic pregnancy (every time I had cramps or twinges, turned out to be just upset stomach or normal menstrual cramps)

3. Obstetric cholestasis (during first pregnancy because of mildly itchy feet, turned out to be nothing)

4. Molar pregnancy (high HCG during early pregnancy, turned out to be just the amount of HCG my body produces with a healthy pregnancy)

5. Throat/esophageal cancer (due to trouble swallowing, anxiety/tonsil stones)

6. Oral cancer (blood blisters/blocked salivary glands)

7. Ovarian/cervical cancer (short cycles and cramps, turned out to be stress-related cycle changes)

8. Breast cancer/lymphoma (current, due to little moveable lymph node in underarm cascading into finding all sorts of other symptoms, hopefully turns out to be nothing?)

And this doesn't include all the times I've thought a mole or freckle might be melanoma, the times a headache-y week has become a brain tumor, the times normal eczema or acne has become a disfiguring and incurable skin condition ... the times during pregnancy I was sure I'd eaten something dangerous. It comes and goes, but it's always draining when the hypochondria arrives.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information