Thread: Colonoscopy - normal, but lots of biopsies?

Colonoscopy - normal, but lots of biopsies?

Hi guys,

My brother (aged 25) had a colonoscopy after having stomach issues such as pain and frequent diarrhoea. His discharge letter states everything was normal. No polyps were found. However, they took lots of biopsies. 5 from the 'terminal ileum' and TWELVE from the 'whole colonic'. I think he's feeling quite worried that they have taken so many, and what this could mean.

If something sinister was up then would it be obvious, or can it sometimes only show up in biopsies?

Re: Colonoscopy - normal, but lots of biopsies?

Quote Originally Posted by JoannaR View Post
    Hi guys,

My brother (aged 25) had a colonoscopy after having stomach issues such as pain and frequent diarrhoea. His discharge letter states everything was normal. No polyps were found. However, they took lots of biopsies. 5 from the 'terminal ileum' and TWELVE from the 'whole colonic'. I think he's feeling quite worried that they have taken so many, and what this could mean.

If something sinister was up then would it be obvious, or can it sometimes only show up in biopsies?
    They likely biopsied areas of inflammation, which can show up during colonoscopy, to find out what they. They can be completely benign (I've had this) or maybe point to something IBD, Crohns etc.

I went for a Colonoscopy on Friday. I was told that the Colon looked fine but they took 8 biopsies to test and that that is routine and do it with everyone. It's Just a precaution apparently. X

I've had two of the procedures where no man has gone before. Had one and found 4 polyps (benign) so had to go back in 3 years instead of 5...all clear...come back in 5 years. Biopsies are normal procedure with the vast majority of them being found to be benign. And the majority of the non benign are treated successfully.

Thread Information