Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Daughter

Daughter

My 19 year old daughter came into our bedroom this morning to say she'd taken 7 sertraline tablets during the night. Luckily that's all she had, she's been trying to get over a break up with her boyfriend and has taken it very hard.

I phoned our GP surgery and got her in for 11 30. He hasn't prescribed any more sertraline but referred her to the nearest mental health team. They will be in touch soon. We've told her how much we love her and to talk to us. But she's inherited more than just my looks I think. I'm hoping this is reactive depression from a break up and not anything long term.

Re: Daughter

I'm so very sorry, Fishman. Hoping this is just a temporary thing.

That's a cry for help, and it seems she will quickly be getting some help, so that is good news. The best bit about this sad post is that she came and told you...she wants to be here and alive. Sorry you had this awful worry and will have some ongoing issues to deal with. 'Talk to us' is the key to things, and I'm sure in good time you will all come through this stronger.

Sorry to hear that fishman
    Breakups are hard at that age, you literally think your life is over and you will never find anyone else.
    I think when she speaks to the professionals they will realise the 'boyfriend' is the reason and it is not a case for anything else. She needs time and someone to talk to although you will worry. x

I just reiterate what everyone else has said. Breakups are devastating to young people. She'll learn from this although it must be very distressing for you and the family. She must have been terrified of what she'd done but I'm glad there are no bad physical repercussions.

Thank you everyone for your posts, what a lovely group of people you are. I do think it's a cry for help, we have paracetamol etc in the house plus all mine and Mrs F's medication. She'd only been on them a week but the GP said something about a lot still being in her system.

It is indeed good she came to us, I've tried to encourage a culture of transparency because I could never talk to my own parents about anything. That led me down a very dark path 30 years ago next month. She's very fragile but hopefully we can get through this. Hugs for you guys

Maybe best to keep your own meds in a secure and safe place just for the foreseeable? If she's just started sertraline it will heighten anxiety so I'd say be cautious.Anti depressants are notoriously unpredictable with young people-she may be better off with the input from the MH team and counselling.

Hi Fish , sorry to hear this , when we nearly lost my daughter to an overdose it was because she'd spilt with and older ( arsole ) boyfriend , we didn't see it coming and when she did get better she said she didn't want to die she just wanted the hurt to stop ( dont we all ) , she regretted taking the pills straight away but people don't realise how tablets affect you until it's too late , it's good she's talking to you at least you will know how she's feeling and can get her the help she needs , we worried ourselves sick about our daughter for a long time but you cant wrap them in cotton wool for the rest of their lives .therr does seem more pressure on young people these days .
    Take care mate .

You will get through this, all of you. Just keep the lines of communication open, if she wants to talk, she will in her own time. Relationships are such a crisis at 19, every tiny thing is the end of the world. Every argument spells disaster and is magnified out of proportion but to her it's very very real. But she will work her way through it and emerge the other side wondering what she actually saw in him. Give her time.

Thanks again guys, some really sound advice there and a real understanding. Buster, mine and your lives seem to be mirrored on more than one level.

Pulisa, yes I think that's why the GP wanted the mental health team involved quickly. Sertraline seems the 'go to' anti-dep these days, but I need to make sure she's not going to suddenly go cold turkey after being on it for a week, that can't be good? Anyway they know best I suppose.

Darksky yep at 19 something like this feels earth shattering. She idolised him but he had some side projects going on, I may suggest she becomes a nun.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information