Thread: Inhaled plastic fumes!?

Inhaled plastic fumes!?

So last night I was getting my son ready for bed when I smelled burning plastic.. I traced it back to the dish washer.. I smelled it. My husband smelled it too. The heated dry had 30 minutes left but we stopped it. Opened it and found a roller from the dishwasher basket melting on the heater coil.. the smell was awful. We got it out. When I opened it I got a face full of plastic steam. I ran several empty loads with vinegar and rinsed it til the smell was pretty well gone. I opened all the windows. But it was cold so couldn’t for long.. and not before the smell filled our entire house. So I’m really worried it was toxic and It poisoned me and my family.. and panicking that we are all going to get cancer from it.

The smell is gone now. I reran the dishes that were in the load with the burnt plastic today after I felt the smell was gone. I hope they are all safe now too!

I hope someone can tell me they have done this before.. melted plastic in their dishwasher or at least reassure me that we will be okay!

Thanks everyone!

Re: Inhaled plastic fumes!?

Yes you’re safe. these things happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope so!

---------- Post added at 02:30 ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 ----------

I inhaled a lot of the strong fumes and they were all through our house.. with my son asleep in his room.. :(

---------- Post added at 04:33 ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 ----------

Google has me scared to death. I’m trying to stop..

Google will scare you half to death. You do need to stop.

I have an incinerator and burn stuff regularly. There have been times when plastic has got in by accident and it's lit up. The smell is horrendous and although I imagine it's not the best thing to be breathing it, it's not done me any harm and one occasion is not going to do you any harm either. Try to stop worrying and put it out of your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksky View Post
    Google will scare you half to death. You do need to stop.

I have an incinerator and burn stuff regularly. There have been times when plastic has got in by accident and it's lit up. The smell is horrendous and although I imagine it's not the best thing to be breathing it, it's not done me any harm and one occasion is not going to do you any harm either. Try to stop worrying and put it out of your mind.

Thank you! I am feeling better today.

Thread Information