Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Referred to oral Surgeon and scared

Referred to oral Surgeon and scared

I went to the dentist for an exam and cleaning. He found a dark spot in my x ray where I had a molar removed a few years back. He said he doesn’t know what it is and would like an oral surgeon to take a look. He told me not to worry “yet”. The soonest the oral surgeon can get me in for initial consultation is in 4 weeks. I am so nervous and scared at what this lesion in the jaw bone could be. His note on referral says please evaluate the radiopaque/radiolucent area in lower left near #19. He also told me that in his years of looking at x rays everyday he has only seen this a couple of times.

Re: Referred to oral Surgeon and scared

Did he say it was a lesion or just a dark spot ? It has probably been there since you had the tooth pulled. It is symptomless, right? That’s good. I know it’s pointless to tell you not to worry so i won’t . But at least try to keep your mind off it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The oral surgeons office referred to it as a lesion when I called. I’m trying hard not to jump to the worst but such a long wait is going to eat away at me. I have two small children😢

---------- Post added at 14:15 ---------- Previous post was at 14:13 ----------

Dentist indicated that dark spot means absence of bone in spot where there should be bone. Something else takes the place of the bone. Tooth was removed about 7 or 8 years ago. This is the first time it has been mentioned. I am at a new dentist, but I’m not sure if that has anything to do with it.

---------- Post added at 14:18 ---------- Previous post was at 14:15 ----------

And to answer your question, yes. Symptomless other than a little jaw pain a while ago but that was only for a couple of days and way before I found any of this out. I have no visible signs in my mouth if not for the panoramic and bitewing x rays he took.

The bone could certainly have eroded away. Mine did from having a missing tooth and i had to have bone graft to get an implant.

Roseanxiety, did it show up as a circle on the x ray? I’m really hoping it is nothing sinister. The months wait is horrible😢

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgirl82 View Post
    The months wait is horrible😢
    Months? If it were serious or urgent, you wouldn't be waiting months.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Fishmanpa I forgot the apostrophe in month’s. My appointment is February 26th. I guess the same logic would still apply? If it were too concerning so you think he would rush the referral?

I went to see cancer screening nurse and she referred me to see hospital orthodontics and they scared the out of me doing special x-rays, turned out a bad extraction had removed some of my jawbone and left an empty space and a bit further a lump, was not normal but fine

Thank you, everyone. I’m going to try my best to assume it will be okay until the oral surgeon says anything otherwise. Always easier said than done. I would love nothing more than to have this be something small and insignificant. I know two people that had to have part of their jaw removed and replaced with leg/hip bone and metal plates because of cancer in the jaw. I guess I just have that haunting my anxiety on top of the x ray findings.

I’m not sure because they didn’t say. It doesn’t sound sinister . That’s your health anxiety . Remember you had the molar extracted years ago. It could have been there since. And also it could just be a shadow on the X-ray.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information