Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Referred to oral Surgeon and scared

Re: Referred to oral Surgeon and scared

Quote Originally Posted by Snowgirl82 View Post
    Fishmanpa I forgot the apostrophe in month’s. My appointment is February 26th. I guess the same logic would still apply? If it were too concerning so you think he would rush the referral?
    When my doctor suspected something was up with the node in my neck, I was sent for a CT literally within hours and booked with an ENT/Oncologist within a week (5 days). The ENT did a FNAB that day and I had my results again within a few days.

My experience is not unlike many I know who were diagnosed.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

My husband had this exact thing happen a year ago. The oral surgeon reviewed the xrays and said it was just a cementoma, which is apparently nothing.

My dentist told me that the oral surgeon would do a cone beam ct and possibly biopsy to see if it’s pathological. This is the part that has me wondering if he should be making this more urgent. The other part of me is saying that this could just be him being extra cautious and trying to prepare me for what to expect.

My husband said they just did a regular X-ray again and told him it was a cementoma and that they’d monitor it but most likely they wouldn’t have to do anything about it. It was the size of a nickel. My mom had something the size of a dime and they told her the same thing, but I don’t think they called it a cementoma.

Quote Originally Posted by Imaleopard View Post
    My husband said they just did a regular X-ray again and told him it was a cementoma and that they’d monitor it but most likely they wouldn’t have to do anything about it. It was the size of a nickel. My mom had something the size of a dime and they told her the same thing, but I don’t think they called it a cementoma.
    Thank you. This makes me feel a little better. The receptionist said to try to put it out of my mind. She said the Dr sees lesions and all sorts of things all of the time and it’s no use worryingly until I see him. I had called on Friday to ask if they had a call list I could be put on for cancellations. She said she would add me but they don’t have many consultation appointments cancelled usually.

My dark spot only appeared to be about pea-sized and pretty perfectly round. Do they know what the cause of your husband’s or your mom’s was? Is there a particular reason cementomas form?

No, there was no reason given for either of them. Their’s were perfectly round too.

A coworker told me this morning that her daughter had a similar situation. They thought it was a tumor but it turned out that they left a tooth fragment behind with previous extraction and over the years a cyst developed around it. My dentist told me this almost never happens but it is a possibility. She had to have surgery to remove fragment and cyst but was fine. I’m hoping that is what mine is. The oral surgeon had to break my tooth into pieces to remove it years ago and that is the approximate location of the spot on the x ray.

I bet that’s what it is .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snowball84,
    What caught my eye in your posts is that a dentist told you he has seen in only a few times in his practice. What kind of jerk doctor says that? I hate doctors/dentist like that, and I always change them - I am not paying them big money to be inconsiderate *******s. It is one thing to be cautious and responsible doctor, but to scare us - sometimes some of them are so horrible. I had last year, due to huge stress and anxiety, half side of inside of my mouth in small wounds. It appeared almost overnight, I was scared out of my mind. The dentist who saw me was clueless, and then he called his colleague to show him something he has never seen before! Needless to say, they saw me never after that. I went to my old trusted dermatologist who took a look and said with the smile: you have shingles. They happen inside the mouth , not that often, but I definitely saw a good share of them. It will go away in a week or ten days, just rest...I also believe it is really nothing with you , serious oral illness are actually very rare, especially cancers . You are young and healthy, and it is nothing, you will see.
    Last edited by Lana; 29-01-19 at 01:34.

Thanks, everyone. Lana, that is kind of what I thought. I told him when I got there that I have anxiety! 😂 I told my husband I wish he had left the part out about having only seen it a couple of times. It wouldn’t change my outcome and I wouldn’t have stressed “quite” as much. Let’s face it- we know I still would have stressed at least a little. He does seem like a nice dentist overall, though, and I think he was just trying to be completely honest. I have decided to stick with the fragment theory until I go to the oral surgeon😊

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information