Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cystoscopy - terrified!

Cystoscopy - terrified!

Hi there,

So after almost 20 years of bladder issues, I'm finally trying to be brave and go for the cystoscopy i probably should have had done years ago. I don't know if I have IC or OAB or even both, but I get recurring uti infections now, of which I'm not sure of why. At the same time I've also had times where I've tested thinking it's a UTI and its just been white blood cells or a small amount of red blood cells but no infection.

I guess the reason to get it done is because I know once and for all whether it's IC or not, or what's going on. Im just worried about the pain and problems that it may cause after.

I'm obviously also really susceptible to uti so I'm worried I'll get another infection from all this. I've been worried about the rate I've had to take antibiotics as I've had three utis in four months and have had to take them every time for fear of it developing into a kidney infection. Then there's the fears of blood clots and all sorts or what if something happens haha. I know I'm being irrational, I have health anxiety so i do get paranoid

Either way, does anyone have positive experiences from the flex cystoscopy? Is it going to cause me to have worse problems for weeks after?

I hope someone can calm my fears haha and reassure me that it'll probably be fine as everytime i've been scheduled for one I've ended up backing out.

Thanks!

Re: Cystoscopy - terrified!

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Honestly there is nothing to it - I have had it done twice now and no pain or problems afterwards. It is done in less than a minute usually as well.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I've had it done once with sedation but that was to diagnose Interstitial Cystitis.
    I had some bleeding afterwards which is to be expected, but was only minimally painful.

Ahh you had sedation? I still am unsure if I have IC or OAB, hence the cystoscopy (but also to see why I'm getting recurring UTIs too)...

Do you think it would be too much without sedation? I know there are people who do it without but I don't know what to expect, how much the pain will be, and how bad the bleeding is after... as well as whether I'll be in an even worse situation after due to my bladder problems flaring.

Hey lusmith. I'm due one today too.and totally nervous:( don't want it to make my symptoms worse. I am petrified it's going to make me incontinent or something

As I said above it is fine without sedation

Hi there,

Just an update, as I finally went and had my flexible cystoscopy. I had it done under private healthcare however, as I wasn't too fond of the hospital I had been with before! The procedure itself isn't that bad at all, I expected a lot worse! Afterward there was quite a bit of pain on urinating for the first few times, and I am going more frequently (but also trying to drink more so that's probably contributing)

Am slightly still concerned as I have no idea what the actual issue is, but at least the procedure is done and out of the way Just figured I'd update people who are frightened of having this done that it's over within minutes and generally it's not as bad as it seems!

I had one on Friday as well and all was good.

My Dad had them many times during his Cancer checkups. He used to moan they're uncomfortable but he opted for no sedation and said they wasn't all that bad. Glad everything went ok

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information