Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: fear of pancreatic cancer

Re: fear of pancreatic cancer

Hi LD. Sorry to hear you are suffering too. The dr said she didn't think it was PC based on symptoms but of course she couldn't be definitive (which is no good to me....I have HA!!!).
    The ultrasound was to check for gallstones primarily. It is the routine next step if you have these types of symptoms. The only reason I got one so quickly was because I went privately. I know some will say that feeds HA but I need to be able to work and I have a lot of family responsibilities so I just wasn't prepared to sit with it. everyone needs to make their own decision about what is best for them I think.
    If your symptoms are improving it is terribly unlikely to be anything serious. I hope you get some relief soon.

Hi
    I am having exactly the same fear. I have had some similar symptoms to you. My blood tests were okay except kidney function EGFR 79 - but I have had lower eGFR before so I wasn't concerned

I am waiting for stool elastase results which take ages - still not back yesterday and it was sent 3 weeks ago - so I am at my limit with anxiety right now

I have ultrasound on 6 February and almost dont want to go as they wont tell me at the scan and I cont think I can cope waiting

Hope you are okay now and that your symptoms are subsiding

Oh SSN, you have my sincere sympathy. The waiting for tests and then the results feels like a uniquely awful torture when you have HA. But I suppose there is nothing to do but face the basic tests or else this just goes on and on, with the anxiety possibly further magnifying the symptoms.

One mistake I made......I took to the bed for a few days. Very bad idea in the end and escalated my anxiety further. In my defence I was in a state of nervous collapse at that stage and just couldn't cope with being around people. If at all possible, keep your routine as normal as possible. The other thing I got caught up in was endless googling. Then rumination, then more googling. I was practically hysterical by the time I had finished.

I wish you well and hope you get some relief from these terrible symptoms soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Beckett View Post
    Hi LD. Sorry to hear you are suffering too. The dr said she didn't think it was PC based on symptoms but of course she couldn't be definitive (which is no good to me....I have HA!!!).
    The ultrasound was to check for gallstones primarily. It is the routine next step if you have these types of symptoms. The only reason I got one so quickly was because I went privately. I know some will say that feeds HA but I need to be able to work and I have a lot of family responsibilities so I just wasn't prepared to sit with it. everyone needs to make their own decision about what is best for them I think.
    If your symptoms are improving it is terribly unlikely to be anything serious. I hope you get some relief soon.
    Hi Beckett,

Out of interest, and if you don't mind saying, how old/what age range are you? I'm 30 FYI. My GP at the start wasn't worried at all, I think she still isn't worried but is just going through what she has to do to try and put my mind at rest. The GP I video called was really, really good - explained everything and said he wouldn't have even though or dreamed of PC if it wasn't for me mentioning it to him directly and he was only talking about it to put my fears to one side.

Ah yes, I wanted to go private but my wife and family told me not to and basically got angry when I kept suggesting it typical non-HA people! I'm still tempted, I'll wait and see what appointment date I get first and then decide. How much did it cost private for you (again, if you don't mind)?

My discomfort is mainly left side but it really doesn't hurt that much at the moment, it is more just an annoyance that won't go away. Do you suffer with reflux and/or indigestion? Mine is pretty bad and I'm taking various tablets from the Dr to try and sort that.

Had a CBT telephone assessment today - are you looking to do any therapy?

LD, I am more than two decades older than you.
    Yes I have reflux and gastritis and on meds.

As for therapy....yes I have done quite a bit. I am now considering meds.

Quote Originally Posted by Beckett View Post
    LD, I am more than two decades older than you.
    Yes I have reflux and gastritis and on meds.

As for therapy....yes I have done quite a bit. I am now considering meds.
    Meds aren't a bad route, I went on some with a bad HA flare up in September and they worked wonders after a few weeks. I'm off them now but I would say if you feel that therapy hasn't worked and you need that support, go for it!

Thanks for the answer to the questions, what meds are you on?

---------- Post added at 14:45 ---------- Previous post was at 14:43 ----------

Forgot to say, keep us updated with how it went with the GP today! GL!

Hi LD, I am just on Losec (a PPI) for the last few years. It had worked well.... thats why when these symptoms emerged I really panicked. Spoke to the Dr today and it will be 1-2 weeks before I get a report on the tests.
    So I will have to wait and try and stay sane.
    Hope you are doing ok?

Hey Beckett,

Yeah I'm ok, doing better mentally but still have my worries. Keep having sharp pains and discomfort in my left side, goes around to back and causes a burning pain. You have anything similar? Yeah my reflux isn't as bad after taking the PPI's which is a good sign I'm sure! 1-2 weeks seems normal for a report, but this is a good sign as normally if it is bad news or worrying they'll tell you much quicker.

Yes....pain in ribs and back, mostly on the right side. I am beginning to think some of could just be muscular tension. I certainly hope so! I have a lot of nausea on and off but it is a little better. Still cannot quite belief it is all anxiety. Either way, dying or not, staying away from Dr Google has helped.

Good luck....hope your symptoms keep improving!

Hi all. Just chiming in to offer some small reassurance, hopefully. One of my uncles died of pancreatic cancer a few years ago. He unfortunately ticked all of the boxes in terms of risk factors: lifelong heavy smoker and drinker, older age, and previous infections.

The reason I mention this is that pancreatic cancer - which is not a very common cancer - almost always presents very fast, very late, and very acute. If you have had intermittent discomfort for several weeks or months, that is highly unlikely to be pancreatic cancer, as the disease would have progressed rapidly within that timespan.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information