Thread: fear of rabies post hols

fear of rabies post hols

I have not been here for a while due to lots of effort but something has triggered a fear of having rabies which is causing a lot of anxiety. I was away on vacation for 3 weeks over xmas in Asia and on one of the penultimate nights was in a restaurant having dinner. The restaurant was in a fancy hotel but there was a cat (a very young cat) roaming around. No one seemed concerned by the cat at all and guests/staff were very relaxed. Upon leaving the restaurant I walked across the room and felt the most light brush of something against my leg - no bite; no scratch. Almost like wind brushing one's leg hairs. I immediately panicked and thought it was the cat but upon looking could see the cat was a few feet away from me though my mind convinced myself it had run from me to that spot which does, i accept, seem unlikely. However, this one moment sent me into total overdrive and since then I have been absolutely sure I have had rabies. I am now nearly 3 weeks home and am not ill but persistently check my leg and am obviously anxious that symptoms will begin. I know this fear is irrational because a)I genuinely cannot say I was bitten or scratched b)If the cat did anything it brushed past me c)it was in a hotel which is unlikely to house a rabid cat d)cats don't seem to have rabies as much as dogs e)I am 3 weeks home. All these things reassure me but it is just something I hope will dissipate over time. If anyone has any advice it would be so appreciated.

Re: fear of rabies post hols

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Do you have a previous login on here then?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

yes - i just spent 20 mins trying to remember it and could not as the email i used was one I closed down. Hope that is oK!

I will PM you.

You posted a lot of really great rationale yourself as to why this is your anxiety, when you start to feel anxious try coming back here and read points a-e that you wrote yourself and remember all of the reasons this is an improbable scenario.

I'm sure the hotel was crowded, anything could have brushed against you, a person, a tablecloth, a dress etc.

Thanks. If anything it was either my sons foot brushing me or the wind. Either way I am pretty certain that even if this cat did brush me the chances of it having rabies and secondly it biting me without knowing it or seeing it would be zero wouldn’t it? I am not an expert on transmission but I had a few dried up pimples so even then I can’t see how saliva got into bloodstream or mucus membranes. If anyone is knowledgable let me know but just repeating the facts of no visible bite; no sharp scratch ; no blood ; no wound ; and it was a young cat in a restaurant in a hotel is beginning to help my brain relax a bit!!

Quote Originally Posted by twtm2002 View Post
    Thanks. If anything it was either my sons foot brushing me or the wind. Either way I am pretty certain that even if this cat did brush me the chances of it having rabies and secondly it biting me without knowing it or seeing it would be zero wouldn’t it? I am not an expert on transmission but I had a few dried up pimples so even then I can’t see how saliva got into bloodstream or mucus membranes. If anyone is knowledgable let me know but just repeating the facts of no visible bite; no sharp scratch ; no blood ; no wound ; and it was a young cat in a restaurant in a hotel is beginning to help my brain relax a bit!!
    I hope you are doing okay by now. If not, remind yourself that: 1. it wasn't a cat that touched your leg; 2. even if it was a cat, you felt it's coat, not a lick or a bite; 3. even if saliva somehow managed to get on its coat, you didn't have an open wound where it touched; 4. even if it was a cat, and had saliva on its coat, and touched you on the open wound, the probability that a normally behaving cat would have or transmit rabies is one in many millions.

I hope that helps!

Thread Information