Quote Originally Posted by CatLady1 View Post
My therapist calls this ‘catastrophising’. She suggested that jumping to the worst possible conclusion is actually a form of defence mechanism, oddly enough, because it offers a sense of certainty and therefore control. For those of us who struggle with uncertainty, ambiguity and control issues, leaping to the worst case scenario puts us in a place where we can feel ‘certain’, because it can’t get any worse.
This makes so much sense! I have prepared myself for getting breast cancer all my life, because it's on both sides of my family. I feel almost certain I will get it, so I feel ok about it.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepie View Post
when nerves are in a sensitive state then everything is magnified and what normally we would't pay any mind to, becomes huge.
Yep, I feel ya I doubt myself a lot more when I'm feeling down... getting more intrusive thoughts recently too.

I'm not great but I'm physically better than I was a week ago, which is wonderful - I can walk - it's just horrible to not be able to walk, and I don't have any mobility aids.

I've been watching the Channel 4 show Pure, which is making me think I have mild OCD - I do get intrusive thoughts that then reoccur because I'm so distressed and disgusted at them. Nowhere near as bad as the poor girl in the show has it though - she's really gripped by it all the time. It's just sometimes for me.

How are you doing purplepie? Hope this week is a little better.