Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anxiety, Depression & Delayed Grief

Re: Anxiety, Depression & Delayed Grief

Quote Originally Posted by CatLady1 View Post
    My therapist calls this ‘catastrophising’. She suggested that jumping to the worst possible conclusion is actually a form of defence mechanism, oddly enough, because it offers a sense of certainty and therefore control. For those of us who struggle with uncertainty, ambiguity and control issues, leaping to the worst case scenario puts us in a place where we can feel ‘certain’, because it can’t get any worse.
    This makes so much sense! I have prepared myself for getting breast cancer all my life, because it's on both sides of my family. I feel almost certain I will get it, so I feel ok about it.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepie View Post
    when nerves are in a sensitive state then everything is magnified and what normally we would't pay any mind to, becomes huge.
    Yep, I feel ya I doubt myself a lot more when I'm feeling down... getting more intrusive thoughts recently too.

I'm not great but I'm physically better than I was a week ago, which is wonderful - I can walk - it's just horrible to not be able to walk, and I don't have any mobility aids.

I've been watching the Channel 4 show Pure, which is making me think I have mild OCD - I do get intrusive thoughts that then reoccur because I'm so distressed and disgusted at them. Nowhere near as bad as the poor girl in the show has it though - she's really gripped by it all the time. It's just sometimes for me.

How are you doing purplepie? Hope this week is a little better.

Re: Anxiety, Depression & Delayed Grief

I can't even begin to imagine how you must feel right now, and no one can relate 100% because grief manifests itself differently from person to person... Some feel affected right away, grief for a period of time, and slowly pick themselves back up, piece by piece, and manage to find new strengths to move on, for the loved ones that are still around.
    Maybe you can start by communicating and opening up to your friends and family. Maybe you can organize a nice gathering at home, where everyone that knew and loved your sister can take a moment to share their beautiful memories with her.
    I, personally, believe the good old therapy might help, I found an article on LAmag.com about online therapy, and I must admit, it did wonders to me after my nana passed away a couple of years ago... I hope you will feel better soon.
    Last edited by SancosNill; 21-09-21 at 14:50.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information