Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: medication

medication

hi i was wondering if you can tell me if fluoxetine hydrochloride is PROZAC cause my father inlaw is taking this med and he says its not . he said his gp put him on PROZAC which made him ill. so they changed him to fluoxetine instead. im very confused cause ive been perscribed fluox and i am abit concerned taking it if it is PROZAC.
    TRACY

Hi

Yes it is Prozac - see this link http://www.healthsquare.com/newrx/PRO1362.HTM

Prozac is one of the better tolerated meds to take - I was on it about 7 years ago for about 9 months.

What are your concerns with it?

Nicola

hi nicola my concerns with prozac is that i read some where that it caused people to commit suicide and make people violent. is it safe to use and did you have any bad side effects.
    tracy

Tracy

The side effects were very minimal as far as I can remember. Definitely not one that made me want to commit suicide. Also I came off it by just stopping and I am sure Meg will agree with me that there aren't many meds that you can do this with. I just felt a bit dizzy for 2 weeks but no worse atall.

It never cured my panic but certainly sorted out my depression.

It is a very good drug for depression and loads on here are on it. I can dig out some previous posts if that will help you?

Nicola

thanks nicola that will be great at least now you have put my mind at rest thanks alot.
    tracy

Hi Tracy,

SSRI's in general of which Prozac is one of about 8 have all had bad press recently.

Seroxat is the one that I would avoid starting on - if you're already on it and its working for you then great -but it can be very difficult coming off it .

Prozac also has had bad press from the tabloids and Daily Mail but when you look at the data carefully - its not too bad compared with Seroxat.

Many people like Nic can come off Prozac easily with no issues at all but it is worth tapering off over a couple of weeks just to make life easier for yourself.

Meg
    www.overcominganxiety.co.uk

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

hi Meg that was what i was trying to explain about . i was in seroxet years ago but for only 1 week but they didnt make me feel any different . i remember seeing that on the news, but i had also heard about prozac. i didnt realise till i had my persription yesterday that it was prozac as my gp called them fluoxetine, then when i looked it up on the net it came out as prozac which then i got abit concerned cause they were connected with mood swings and suicides. i was taking prothidan for 6yrs but they dont seem to be helping. also i recently had to have my cat of 14yrs put to sleep which brought on my depression so she decided to try me on another med to help me . so basically i have started taking one today to see how i get on with them. i have to see her again in 3 weeks to see how i am ,im still taking my prothiden 2 at night to gradually ween down off them.. basically if they lift the depression all well and good my father inlaw is on them since his son died 3yrs ago and he as been ok on them so i will just have to wait and see how things pan out. i dont like taking drugs thats the trouble dont think anybody does but when you hear that they have been in the press its a bit scarey to wether you are doing the right thing...
    tracy

Tracy,

It is normal for you to feel a bit more on edge or sad initially before they kick in and that they may not kick in for 4 weeks or so ... This is normal so doing 1 week and making a decision is no use at all.
    If you're going to take them it needs to be for at least a month to give them a chance to work correctly.

Sorry to hear about your cat. You may be feeling sad and need to express grief about your cat and so please do have a good cry and get out for some walks - prozac will not get your over this loss or skip the grieveing process- but may make you feel better whilst you are taking it.

** Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
    When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
    They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.... **

Meg
    www.overcominganxiety.co.uk

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

hi tracy. I was on prozac for about 4 weeks and had no bad effects at all. i suffer more with anxiety and phobia than depression and lots of people siad they worked well for depression but not so much for anxiet, so i asked doc to change them. anyway i had no bad side effects from them. Take care. Vernon

hi vernon good to hear from you thanks for letting me know how you got on with prozac its a relief to hear there was no bad side effects. i myself suffer more with anxiety but because i had to have my cat put to sleep i have been grieveing since he's been gone just before xmas. it sort of brought out the old symptoms again ,ive been doing really well till my cat became poorly and having to make the decsision of having put to sleep didnt help and since then i have been racked with guilt,but deep inside i had no choice i couldnt se him suffer anymore. i miss him hell of alot and thats why i am so down i had him 14yrs since i was married he was family. i know it will ease in time ive lost a lot of people as well over the years and now ive come to terms with it. anyway thanks for letting me know it is much appreciated.
    best wishes tracy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information