Thread: Maybe it's Diabetes?

Maybe it's Diabetes?

Hi all. I've been doing relatively well for some time now, and haven't really had worries regarding my general issues as I truly believed and chalked things up to just anxiety but I'm starting to spiral a bit again.

About a month ago, I read randomly on the internet, (not googling anything) that blackish mold in the toilet, which I had been noticing for a few years, could be a symptom or sign of diabetes. I had also been having a strange fishy smell coming from my groin off and on for months and began to wonder if maybe these issues were related. THIS is unfortunately what triggered a google search and now I got myself freaked out a bit as both point to diabetes. My other issues seem to point that way as well.

My issues for years have involved the following
    -Tingling/burning/prickling/crawling sensations in my left foot + hand
    -Head swimming/dizziness feeling
    -Floaters in eyes
    -Things getting caught in throat/trouble swallowing
    -Decrease in volume of semen (although I chalked this up to anxiety over my other issues, it has returned recently)
    I feel it's important to note that all of this has been OFF/ON for the past 2 years. I've gone months with none of these symptoms only for them to return.

Initially I believed it all to be MS related and had an MRI done. I also had a nerve conduction study, urinalysis's done, and a couple blood tests around the time that my issues started only for everything to come back normal. All this being said, I have a grandmother who was a type 1 diabetic and I'm wondering if maybe I'm showing early signs perhaps? Some of this can be chalked up to anxiety for sure, and I've been doing just fine with realizing that this probably could be the explanation. But the fact that these issues keep returning has me worried and I'm afraid I'm going to incur permanent nerve damage if I don't find the cause soon. I'm not having really any of the "traditional" diabetic symptoms, such as frequent urination, excessive thirst, fatigue, etc. so this gives me some hope. Still, I guess I'm just tired of not really having any real answer for my issues other than anxiety.

Re: Maybe it's Diabetes?

It's easily diagnosed by a blood test from your Dr.

Quote Originally Posted by WiseMonkey View Post
    It's easily diagnosed by a blood test from your Dr.
    I know. I just don't like going in and wasting their time if it turns out to be nothing... Idk

Quote Originally Posted by Ryzinn View Post
    I know. I just don't like going in and wasting their time if it turns out to be nothing... Idk
    Your grandmother has type 1 diabetes which is an autoimmune condition so is MS. You've had an MRI for that, which was negative but there could be something else autoimmune going on. Autoimmune conditions can run in families but it's usually the females that inherit them. Has your Dr done a blood test to detect ANA'S which show autoimmune antibodies?

Of course your symptoms could just be stress related.

Thread Information