Thread: Newbie to Propranolol - any advice welcome!

Newbie to Propranolol - any advice welcome!

I've been prescribed 10mg of Propranolol, to take 1 to 4 capsules about an hour before the perceived anxiety attack (I have situational anxiety so, for example, if I know I have a meeting at work at 10a.m I know I'm going to be jittery at around that time).

I guess that makes me kind of lucky insofar as I can pretty much know for sure when the shakes and tremors are going to be present.

Any advice appreciated. How long does it take to get into the system and how long does it last? What can I expect to feel like, I'm not bothered about the anxiety itself (I can deal with that) it's the physical symptoms (tremors) that are impacting on my life.

Many thanks.

Re: Newbie to Propranolol - any advice welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by chuckles1066 View Post
    I've been prescribed 10mg of Propranolol, to take 1 to 4 capsules about an hour before the perceived anxiety attack (I have situational anxiety so, for example, if I know I have a meeting at work at 10a.m I know I'm going to be jittery at around that time).

I guess that makes me kind of lucky insofar as I can pretty much know for sure when the shakes and tremors are going to be present.

Any advice appreciated. How long does it take to get into the system and how long does it last? What can I expect to feel like, I'm not bothered about the anxiety itself (I can deal with that) it's the physical symptoms (tremors) that are impacting on my life.

Many thanks.
    I was prescribed these I wouldn't personally take them
    Yes they stop the heart racing but there mainly for people that have heart conditions my uncle had a peace maker put in and had few people had heart attacks and they were prescribed propranolol!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I've had a lot of success with these for migraines and situational anxiety. That said...

Don't take them at bedtime; I've taken them the night before an anxious day and failed to sleep for 60 hours. Not fun.

I found they gave me really cold hands, so that may be something to be aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    Don't take them at bedtime

I'm new to all this but why would you take them at bedtime?

Getting into bed is the most relaxing thing I can think of? A warm, safe, bed with a nice big fat quilt on, snuggled up with a mug of Ovaltine and a couple of chocolate cookies........how great is that?

Why would you take this when you're getting into bed?

Many thanks for your input, it will help me with my understanding of what I am going through.

I took them a couple of times when I had potentially scary morning appointments and wanted to get some rest. Not the smartest thing I've ever done.

So I took 3 x 10mg for the first time and.......nada, diddlysquat, nothing.

EDIT: so I took 4 x 10mg today on an empty stomach and within 30-45 minutes I felt noticeably better.

I guess 40mg on an empty stomach is what works for me.
    Last edited by chuckles1066; 10-02-19 at 17:49.

Propanalol aren't just for heart Conditions they are for anxiety to reduce adrenaline heart rate and the pyschial symptoms of anxiety I have only managed to take 2 and have been prescribed them since November I'm too worried of the effects but have been told they r very good for anxiety.

Thread Information