Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 33 and too scared to move out

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

33 and too scared to move out

Yep, you heard correct. I'm 33 and still live with my parents. I suffer from anxiety and change really sets me off so the thought of moving out of my family home where i feel safe is terrifying.

But this in turn, further contributes to feeling useless and unable to look after or support myself.

Is anyone in a similar situation or can offer words of advice?

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: 33 and too scared to move out

Don't be hard on yourself. Living with your parents is not shameful or wrong. Take the pressure off yourself and then you can start dealing with the anxiety issues you have re living alone and moving on.

One step at a time.

Never Surrender, Comrade

I feel like it is shameful as I can't function by myself, my anxiety is holding me back!

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby77 View Post
    I feel like it is shameful as I can't function by myself, my anxiety is holding me back!
    What are you doing to treat your anxiety, Ruby?

Never Surrender, Comrade

Don't put extra pressure on yourself. Loads of 30 somethings live with their parents so cut yourself some slack. It's no ones business anyway who you live with or for how long. It's your life. Live it how you want.

Ghost…Spillways

Thanks for your replies, maybe I am my own worst critic.

Not a lot in answer to your question, I am on citalopram and have had a couple of counselling sessions previously but I find it difficult to talk.

When I get really bad I have sourced help from the NHS but the waiting list is so long, by the time I get to the top of the waiting list, I feel like I don't need it anymore.

Do you have any advice?

I'm 26 this year and I can understand a little of how you're feeling. I want to move out but I get on really well with my family and I am scared to be out on my own. So I hope you know I sympathise, although our situation is different.

If change is what scares you, maybe you can think of small changes you can make in your every day life that you can try out. It wouldn't be right for anyone to suggest you go from 0 to 100 and move out now, but maybe a first step could be creating an ISA for saving towards a house? Or another small change that would challenge you, but show you it's not as nerve-wracking as you think.

Either way, you shouldn't worry about what other people think. It's probably just you being hard on yourself, but even if someone did think something bad, that person shouldn't be in your life anyway.

Don’t worry about what anyone thinks. If you live with your parents for the rest of your life WHO cares. I still live at home and I’m 25 and have no plans to leave yet as I’m comfortable and rent is so expensive. Focus on your anxiety that’s what I’d be more worried about, moving out is also a huge change so why wouldn’t anyone be scared? I hate being at home alone overnight and don’t think I’d cope with living alone. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

I am saving to be able to afford my own place and that has always been my excuse for still being here.

But if I'm honest with myself, it's because I'm scared of leaving my comfort zone. I've lived in the same house my whole life and I'm not sure I can do anything else.

I love living in my comfort zone! I’m 42 and live on the same farm as my parents AND grandmother. I think inter generational living is brilliant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information