Thread: Brain eating amoeba?

Unhappy Brain eating amoeba?

I was drinking (filtered) water out of my water bottle this morning, and my hand slipped and I got water all over my face and up my nose. My first thought was just the discomfort, and I googled "water up my nose" just to see if there were any good ways to get the water out when it gets up your nose. Instead, I got articles about the brain eating amoeba that you die from in rare cases when water goes up your nose.

Water has gone up my nose before, of course. And I've read about the brain-eating freshwater amoeba before. But for some reason, it really bothered me today, and even though I know deep down that I'm almost definitely fine, I think I just need some reassurance from other people with health anxiety. There's also been some illness going around where I live and work, so if I end up coming down with something, the last thing I want to do is overreact and assume it's because I was clumsy while drinking my water.

Re: Brain eating amoeba?

I know deep down that I'm almost definitely fine

You are totally fine. What you’ve mentioned is so rare and you don’t have any symptoms other than your anxiety. I’ve been there I know how awful it is but you are TOTALLY fine. Try to distract yourself go for a walk or call a friend. Once your brain takes the focus off it’ll get bored and you won’t worry about it.

Surely you can't get that from filtered water? They are talking about dirty water in lakes, rivers etc.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I second thatbactually didn’t notice you said filtered water, you get this from natural water eg rivers, hot springs etc

You get water up your nose sometimes if you have a bath, shower even just have a wash .... and you haven't died from a Brain eating amoeba and you won't do ever from clean drinking water..

My guess is this is the article you found.... I just googled and found it on about the 2nd or 3rd page of results.. https://www.ahchealthenews.com/2016/...ng-water-nose/

As the article states...

With summer in full swing, many people are flocking to local beaches and ponds to take a dip. Amidst the fun, swimmers may get water up their nose, causing a burning sensation and, sometimes, sneezing. But the danger isn’t always over when the discomfort subsides.

look at the type of water this mentions.... beaches and ponds.. dirty water.... not filtered drinking water! there is no chance of you getting brain eating amoeba from getting filtered drinking water up your nose.

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Yeah like, I know it doesn't make sense to worry about filtered water. I think I saw one article that mentioned how, like, one person got it from putting tap water in a neti pot, so my mind immediately jumped to "I can't trust the filter!"

That is your HA talking and nothing more

Are you getting any help to deal with that?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Yes! I've been getting help to reduce my health anxiety.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Quote Originally Posted by julia241977 View Post
    Yes! I've been getting help to reduce my health anxiety.
    What kind of help, Julia?

HA will eat away at your brain much faster than any strain of "amoeba"!

Never Surrender, Comrade

Thread Information