Thread: OCD and Depersonalization

OCD and Depersonalization

Hi Everyone,

Just curious whether anyone has experienced OCD and depersonalization. A few weeks ago I started to meditate and it's been extremely helpful with helping me relax. I noticed the volume of my intrusive thoughts have come down and I've been more cognizant of them. They aren't as loud and I can kinda brush them off. I've made strides in just accepting the OCD thoughts and not responding to them. However, the last few days I've felt a bit detached and disassociated like I'm in a bit of a fog. I've read meditation can cause this a bit. I feel a bit subdued (almost like my mind is quiet!) However, my OCD seems to be taking this as a problem that it is screaming about. It's almost snuck in told me that THIS IS SOMETHING YOU SHOULD BE WORRIED ABOUT! YOU FEEL WEIRD! YOU FEEL OFF!

In short, I'm trying to figure out if I should carry on with meditation (is it causing me to feel off) or is the OCD just telling me that I feel off and should be worried. Now I wish I didn't start meditating, I wish I just sat with the intrusive thoughts and did my best to ignore them. I don't wanna feel depersonalized or in a brain fog.

I almost am prone to anxiety. I have GAD. I think my brain might just be fabricating a new problem for myself to resolve, which it seems to love to do.

Re: OCD and Depersonalization

Quote Originally Posted by Scottyboy View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Just curious whether anyone has experienced OCD and depersonalization. A few weeks ago I started to meditate and it's been extremely helpful with helping me relax. I noticed the volume of my intrusive thoughts have come down and I've been more cognizant of them. They aren't as loud and I can kinda brush them off. I've made strides in just accepting the OCD thoughts and not responding to them. However, the last few days I've felt a bit detached and disassociated like I'm in a bit of a fog. I've read meditation can cause this a bit. I feel a bit subdued (almost like my mind is quiet!) However, my OCD seems to be taking this as a problem that it is screaming about. It's almost snuck in told me that THIS IS SOMETHING YOU SHOULD BE WORRIED ABOUT! YOU FEEL WEIRD! YOU FEEL OFF!

In short, I'm trying to figure out if I should carry on with meditation (is it causing me to feel off) or is the OCD just telling me that I feel off and should be worried. Now I wish I didn't start meditating, I wish I just sat with the intrusive thoughts and did my best to ignore them. I don't wanna feel depersonalized or in a brain fog.

I almost am prone to anxiety. I have GAD. I think my brain might just be fabricating a new problem for myself to resolve, which it seems to love to do.
    I get this train of thought, I have experienced this sort of thing aswell, just to be clear it isn't the meditation that is making you feel off, it's the OCD convincing you it is. It's normal for our OCD brain to create new problems that we didn't even think of...mine has been doing the same all day today. Ugh.

But just ride the wave and don't stop doing healthy things liek meditating, just like you would not want the OCD to stop u from leaving the house or going for a run or meeting with a friend, just don't let it overwhelm you and sit with these thoughts, as you already probably do already do.

Re: OCD and Depersonalization

Quote Originally Posted by Mav View Post
    I get this train of thought, I have experienced this sort of thing aswell, just to be clear it isn't the meditation that is making you feel off, it's the OCD convincing you it is. It's normal for our OCD brain to create new problems that we didn't even think of...mine has been doing the same all day today. Ugh.

But just ride the wave and don't stop doing healthy things liek meditating, just like you would not want the OCD to stop u from leaving the house or going for a run or meeting with a friend, just don't let it overwhelm you and sit with these thoughts, as you already probably do already do.
    Thanks for the comment. It’s so frustrating to have a new theme everyday tricking me into worrying about things.

Thread Information