Thread: Anyone’s anxiety started in a similar way?

Anyone’s anxiety started in a similar way?

Hi all,

Been going through a horrible time for the past few months and I wanted to see if anyone on here can relate to the onset of my symptoms.

I’ve had panic/anxiety disorder for 15 years which has largely been controlled by medication (fluoxetine).

I came off my medication on the advice of my GP as I was doing well.

About 8 weeks later my mum went on holiday so I was home alone. During this time I had a couple of anxious hours throughout the week which didn’t bother me because I expected them.

One night, however, just as I was drifting off to sleep I was suddenly jolted up and my heart was racing. This scared me silly. It didn’t slow down all night so I stayed awake pacing the house on my own.

My mum got back from holiday the next day and I was in a state. Over the next few weeks I was barely sleeping and went to the hospital/doctors more times than I can remember. Every time tests were done and I was told it was anxiety and given medication.

I tried so hard to believe it but I just couldn’t get rid of the constantly banging heart and chest pain so was still constantly scared.

After about 4 weeks of feeling like this almost constantly, I was admitted to hospital for monitoring with anxiety related tachycardia.

I was in hospital for 2 days. Basically bed bound. Every time I moved my heart rate went wild. If I tried to get out of bed my legs felt like they were going to collapse and the room span so I just gave up trying. I didn’t sleep at all and ate only a couple of yogurts each day.

Twice one night when I tried to get to sleep in hospital, the same thing happened as when I was home alone and my heart went crazy as I was drifting off. It was recorded at 170bpm for 2 mins before it calmed down of its own accord.

On my second day I saw the cardiologist. He suggested inappropriate sinus tachycardia due to the random bouts of palpitations when I was drifting off to sleep.

I also told him that I couldn’t stand up so he got me to try. When I did my heart rate went up from 90bpm to 120bpm and I was incredibly dizzy. On this basis he also suggested PoTS and I was discharged with beta blockers to take daily.

It has been 2 months since my stay in hosptal. The beta blockers have sorted my heart rate out but I’m constantly unbalanced now, especially when standing still.

Since then I have been constantly worried that I have PoTS. Ive noticed new symptoms that i definitely hadn’t noticed before it was suggested. If I tell myself it’s anxiety for an extended period I can calm down and feel fine.

I have a tilt table test on Wednesday this week. For this I have had to stop taking my beta blockers until then. Today is my first day off them and I am so worried about my heart rate and not being able to walk again.

Anxiety seems to be the logical answer as I’ve always had it and the symptoms between PoTS and anxiety are extremely similar.

I suppose what I’m looking for is for someone to say ‘I’ve been through the same and it was all down to anxiety, you need to stop worrying’.

Please, if anyone has had any similar experiences with anxiety I would love to know. Could really do with words from fellow sufferers at the moment!

Thanks for reading this novel!

Al

Re: Anyone’s anxiety started in a similar way?

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thread Information