Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twitching - need advice and help please

Twitching - need advice and help please

Hi everyone,
    I have been reading posts for weeks now and finding lots of support on this site. Therefore I have gained the courage to post my worries and ask for some advice.

I am a 38 year old woman, before Christmas I had a bit of a anxious time regarding my son. This all calmed down and life went back to normal.

However around 6 weeks ago I noticed that I started twitching all over but mainly in my calves, feet and toes. Of course I googled and fell down the rabbit hole.

My twitches seem to pop all over legs e.g one second pop on calf then a bubble on knee etc. Some I can see and not feel. My feet feel like they are vibrating making my toes move. I only feel these at rest and they can be worse if I am sitting in a certain position. Also, if I sit on my legs the twitches seem better.

I have been at doctor and she said anxiety but rendered mw to a neurologist but unfortunately the waiting list in Scotland can be 6 months or more.

I have read loads on here, mostly reassuring, however some posts on here have also left me with lots of questions??

I know that ALS is failing not feeling but someone posted that sometimes twitches come first?

My questions to you experts out there I suppose are...

How long would it take if I did have ALS for the weakness etc to set in after twitches? Could it be weeks/months?

Also, would the twitches be constant with ALS?
    For example if I keep my legs really still then they stop for a bit but as soon as I tense then relax a muscle then they pop again as if I have turned a switch on.

Epsom baths seem to calm twitches? Would this happen if it was the scary type?

I can see that many people say that time is the best reassurance but it is hard waiting and not knowing.

Sorry for the long post. I know lots of people on here have similar issues and I am grateful for any advice/ support that you can give me.

Thank you

Re: Twitching - need advice and help please

No one can ever rule out every single disease that these symptoms could be linked to. But the likelihood of it being one of these diseases is so remote - I wouldn't worry (which is laughable coming from me as I worry about everything!) But in all seriousness - it will be linked to the anxiety. Trouble is - the more you worry about something it almost certainly isn't, the more anxious you will be become. No doubt a second symptom will kick in - maybe tingling? numbness? Will still be linked to the anxiety but getting worse due to increased worrying!!

Thanks,
    When I'm thinking straight I can relate it to anxiety and I can see the same pattern in many anxiety suffers. However, doubt creeps in and I wonder how I can see such real twitches just because if my thoughts.

It's the physical reaction to your mental anxiety. Not sure of the sense behind creating us that way , unlike the fight or flight reaction with extra adrenaline being produced - that sort of makes sense!

Thanks, my rational head tells me this then I spiral down again! I think it's that fact that everyone around me is just getting on with their life when I am constantly body checking etc.
    Twitches are my only symptom but I cannot seem to put these into perspective.
    Oh to live in a world before the internet

---------- Post added at 18:25 ---------- Previous post was at 18:16 ----------

I suppose what I am looking for is for anyone to share similar experiences if twitching??

I think this would help me to not feel so isolated if others have similar symptoms

Yep - I twitch. Shoulder, thigh, calf, eye, lip. Comes and goes. I ignore now. Prefer not to have it but it's been going on for nearly a year so sort of used to it.

Thanks for your reply.
    I know the feeling, just wish they would go away!

It is really getting me down now. As soon as I sit or lie in bed my muscles pop all over( mostly feet and calves)
    However what is annoying me more is my big toe keeps moving on its on and won't stop!!
    Is this really only anxiety?
    Any help please, thanks

Sometimes I have twitches that last for weeks. I promise, they're no big deal.

Thanks for the reply, I have had them for about 7 weeks now and they don't seem to be slowing down. I'm ok when I'm moving around but as soon as I rest they pop up everywhere, this fuels my stress levels more.
    Worried that it is something serious.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information