Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Best wishes to Pulisa for treatment tomorrow

Re: Best wishes to Pulisa for treatment tomorrow

My GF would sympathise as she had pleurisy many years ago and had problems for some time afterwards.

Neuralgia isn't pleasant, I've had some of that with my face at times and my dad gets it with his neck. They offered him antidepressants for that, he threw them away when he read what they were (never even offered the physio side or exercises the NHS say they should but he is now classed as elderly so you know what GP's are like for pills with them...not suggesting you know because of yourself! ) as he's not re-opening that door after 40+ years depression free.

Have you crushed any cans or ripped any doors of without realising your strength this morning?

Yes, I would be interested in the pain management therapy too. I have always struggled with physical symptoms. I expect it's going to be heavy on what you already know (acceptance, changing how you see things and just getting on with it) but anything that helps is worth trying.

I agree with the others, chronic pain grinds you down. It's the cause of depression for many alone. There are areas in my anxiety I struggle with that are based around pain and it's hard to breakthrough that into the exercise I want to do so I will be interested in something specific for pain management. From what I've seen when looking at therapy techniques it can be things like pacing, knowing when not to push yourself.

But most of all I hope it helps you, which is the most important thing here.

(oh and it will be handy to say "well pulisa does it" the next time someone on a thread is telling us why they can't pursue mental health treatment until they get passed one of their HA fears )

I just hope Mindfulness isn't brought into the equation other than getting through the day hour by hour. I do walk every day and carry on as normal. Pacing will be very hard because the more pain I'm in the more I push myself because I get so angry with the pain and myself. I'm sure there will be tonnes of stuff to work on-I'm not a textbook case! I admit that my OCD/ED is a lot worse now but I hope I will be able to manage it better with therapy.

Of COURSE you aren't a 'text book case' you are special !

Yes, pleurisy would knock you for six. My mum had it when she was in her fifties and recovered well, but I think she hid any pain she had from me and was someone who would push herself. Probably like you Pulisa. x

P, what did they actually DO in terms of hospital pain treatment for it? Have I missed where you said what the actual procedure was?

I had about 8 steroid/ local anaesthetic shots from my waist to my neck on the right hand side. The steroid used was called "depo" something..Haven't googled it

---------- Post added at 20:17 ---------- Previous post was at 20:10 ----------

It's a mixture of myofascial and neuropathic pain. I find the nerve pain/dysaethesia unbearable at times-you can't escape it.

All the best wishes in the world to you, Pulisa, and loads of gentle hugs as well
    Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
    Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
    Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)

So, you ended up a bit like the character in Clive Barker's Hellraiser

It wouldn't surprise me if some Mindfulness stuff is in there since it's been found to help with pain in the common sense way we all know that focussing on symptoms makes it worse. But I would imagine CBT type stuff and practical advice. Like anything else it will always come down to you and just pushing through mentally and I think you have to take what you can and if it helps then great, nothing lost.

Maybe it will be like those new pain relieve adverts? "Swearing is a way we reduce pain until we can find something else" If we see a headline in the Daily Mail along the lines of "Tourettes sufferer complains of bad language in hospital" we will know.

Swearing Therapy would be good! It will happen when Mindfulness is old hat..

My Dad always said "don't buckle" and that's good advice for me. I can still be in pain and function because I have no choice but it's a real struggle to get through the long days and keep everyone ticking over.

How are you today Pulisa? Are you still in the same amount of discomfort?

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information