Thread: Brand name different on sertraline box

Brand name different on sertraline box

Afternoon all, so I've been on sertraline since end December I started with 50mg in brand name accord, however I'm now up to 75mg (Dr wants me on 100 but I'm pacing) I've been on 75 for 3 weeks. Monday I got another prescription and the the box is different and it says crescent. I have started to feel yuk feeling like I've had a pint of milk and it's not digested. Is this normal? Could a brand change make a difference. I'm worried because I'm haven stool test done for chronic diareah and I don't want it to be worse. Some reassurance and advice would be great.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: Brand name different on sertraline box

I'm speculating but I would say brands do "make a difference" - mainly, I believe, due to some non-active ingredients and the absorption of active drug. Certain brands of sertraline gave me awful gastritis/heartburn. So, I would hazard a guess that this is the cause of your "indigestion".

You can ask pharmacist for Accord brand next time as they're all generic now anyway and cost shouldn't be an issue.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Thanks KK77, I just didn't want to ask doctor Google. It maybe nothing, but besare that since the brand different I now feel a little odd. Hoping no other symptoms pop up.

I have found a difference in brands.
    I ended up throwing one pack away and going back to get the brand name ones.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

It's a bit of a funny issue, a bit of an unknown. There are certain groups of meds the medical community have agreed suffer this problem (epilepsy was one, I think certain heart meds another) but I get the impression they haven't looked farther than the big issues caused.

I remember my pharmacist said it's sometimes because of switching due to cost but also a shortage of supply from one manufacturer so they try others and switch back once the supply chain is back to normal.

Like KK says, it could be the difference in additives. The active drug is the same and the % should fall within a certain set of parameters to be licenced. And then we have the issue of anxiety itself and how changing the box colour alone can trip some of us off.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 15-02-19 at 05:49.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    It's a bit of a funny issue, a bit of an unknown. There are certain groups of meds the medical community have agreed suffer this problem (epilepsy was one, I think certain heart meds another) but I get the impression they haven't looked farther than the big issues caused.

I remember my pharmacist said it's sometimes because of switching due to cost but also a shortage of supply from one manufacturer so they try others and switch back once the supply chain is back to normal.

Like KK says, it could be the difference in additives. The active drug is the same and the % should fall within a certain set of parameters to be licenced. And then we have the issue of anxiety itself and how changing the box colour alone can trip some of us off.
    I read somewhere that the different fillers and colouring used can make a difference.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill2 View Post
    I read somewhere that the different fillers and colouring used can make a difference.
    Yeah, I would be betting on that being a factor.

Maybe in years to come they will actually find causes of anxiety in such things? Something popped up in my feed about E numbers in mice so who knows?

(that's E numbers being fed to mice, not suggesting mice are made up of E numbers )

Thread Information