Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone has a hard lump on their palate ?

Anyone has a hard lump on their palate ?

Hey guys, so I was alredy scared of oral cancer ones. I am 20 in a month, and scared of adeoid cystic carcinoma. It is quite rare in my age but still...It is a hard small bump/swelling on my palate. Also is seems the same color and my palate maybe a bit ligher. Is it halway between the middle and the left side. This means it cannot be a torus. Anyone here with a small hard bump which is not in the middle/ is not a torus ? I wanted to visit my ENT today but she is gone until the 25th :(

Re: Anyone has a hard lump on their palate ?

Quote Originally Posted by jaroslav.prossv View Post
    adeoid cystic carcinoma
    What? Are you a dr? Nurse? Medical professional?

Quote Originally Posted by NancyW View Post
    What? Are you a dr? Nurse? Medical professional?
    no I study economics, but there are not many other possibilities.

What Nancy is saying is that non-medical people don't use that terminology unless they've been hanging around on Google way too much, generally because they're in the grip of health anxiety.

Sounds like a case of Dr. Google. You’re 19 so the chances of you having oral cancer is minuscule. Have you smoked for half your life? Do you chew tobacco? Do you drink daily? If no hen your chance is virtually impossible. Could that “lump” have been part of your palate all along and you’re only now discovering it because you’re being hyper vigilant? Yes. Could it be nothing and just a normal abnormality in your mouth? Yes. Are you certified to diagnose it as cancer? NO. Why not go to the dentist and have them reassure you that it’s nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by Liddy1993 View Post
    Sounds like a case of Dr. Google. You’re 19 so the chances of you having oral cancer is minuscule. Have you smoked for half your life? Do you chew tobacco? Do you drink daily? If no hen your chance is virtually impossible. Could that “lump” have been part of your palate all along and you’re only now discovering it because you’re being hyper vigilant? Yes. Could it be nothing and just a normal abnormality in your mouth? Yes. Are you certified to diagnose it as cancer? NO. Why not go to the dentist and have them reassure you that it’s nothing?
    I wanted to go to my ent today, but she has vacation for 14 days, so I will have to find another one. Well I do have a bad habbit of stratching my palate with my back tongue (hard to feel anything with that part) so it might be a normal part of the palate which is a bit irritated or just a normal part lol. Hard to say. I did not smoke or do any other substances, I don't even drink alcohol. The incidence of adenoid cystic carcinoma would be about one in 100 million (age non adjusted).

In other words, you don't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueIris View Post
    In other words, you don't have it.
    I hope :/ How do you cope with anxiety when you have symptoms ?

Firstly, don't Google. Secondly, learn to accept that bodies do weird stuff and it's very seldom serious. Thirdly, consider having a chat to your doctor about meds and/or therapy - sometimes a bit of extra help can work wonders.

I wish you all the luck in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by jaroslav.prossv View Post
    The incidence of adenoid cystic carcinoma would be about one in 100 million (age non adjusted).
    there’s your answer! Unless you think you are incredibly special to get something with a 1 in 1 million chance? When I stick my tongue up to my palette I have a lump too and it’s a lighter pink than the rest of my palette. It’s not often you’d be feeling around or looking inside there so this could’ve been the way it is all your life or it could be as I said just an abnormality. There are far more reasons why you don’t have cancer than the one reason you might and that reason is you think you have it. How many other things have you thought you had and it turned out you hadn’t? Get it checked out to reassure yourself if needs be but I truly don’t think it’s necessary.

---------- Post added at 18:21 ---------- Previous post was at 18:20 ----------

What I find works when I’m spiralling and freaking out is to list out the reasons I don’t have whatever I think I have and they always outweigh the bad. Stop googling too I do this and end up knowing too much and too much info is dangerous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information