Thread: Light with movement of eye

Light with movement of eye

Hi,
    When i look at a bright background like the sky, and flick my eyes to the left, a momentary crescent of light appears in my left eye which appears to be in the same part of my visual field each time. It's like an afterimage and only lasts a split second. Not sure if this just started today.

I have a huge number of floaters in both eyes that have got steadily worse over the years. Possibly related to that?

Re: Light with movement of eye

This happens me if I look at the sky when it’s sunny or when I have a picture taken with flash or look at a bright light such as a doctor or dental lamp.

---------- Post added at 18:26 ---------- Previous post was at 18:25 ----------

https://www.thenakedscientists.com/a...looking-lights

It looks kinda like an afterimage, but it isn't one. It's not happening with my right eye, just my left.

Yes I’ve had this too kind of like when a tv freezes and the image is burned into the screen I think it’s more or less the same reasoning as explained in the above link.

Well, I was checking CDs and DVDs earlier on for scratches with the light flashing off them. But that was around 5 hours ago now and can still see this light on odd occasions with bright background when flick my left eye to either the right or up. So wouldn't have thought it was an afterimage. Will see if it disappears by tomorrow.

I would put money on it being gone by tomorrow or even tonight. Positive thoughts.

---------- Post added at 18:51 ---------- Previous post was at 18:48 ----------

I know this isn’t the exact same as your experience but I had eyelash extensions applied a few weeks ago for the first time and she needed to use and EXTREMELY bright light when she was applying them and they take two hours. After I got home I kept seeing a bright white shape in my eye kind of like when you look at the sun and was convinced I was going blind from the light or the glue used. Needless to say I wasn’t and it was gone by the morning, I know not the same as you exactly but this was only recently and I was fine after :-)

Still there. So can't be an afterimage. Not sure if getting less prominent, might be.

I went to specsavers (an opticians) 7 weeks ago and they did loads of tests on my eyes eg eye pressure etc. Wonder if I should ring them up and ask if they found anything relevant?

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 ----------

I'm going to ring up this NHS number 111 and get advice.

---------- Post added at 15:09 ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 ----------

OK, they eventually rung back. This Indian guy. Even when I described what happens, he said so what is the problem? So I repeated myself stressing that this is not normal. He said I need to go and see an optician.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostly View Post
    ...can still see this light on odd occasions with bright background when flick my left eye to either the right or up.
    Can I ask you a question? Why are you intentionally performing such an odd eye movement? What medical purpose does that serve to diagnose an eye issue?

Under normal circumstances, people go about their day and never give a second thought to the dozens of visual anomalies that happen let alone purposely move their eyes in the manner you're doing. Frankly, IMO, this is a normal visual anomaly most people never give a second thought to that your anxiety is giving irrational importance

It goes back to the old joke...

Patient: Doc, it hurts when I do _____
    Doc: Don't do _____

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

It was sunny yesterday, the first time in ages I've been out in the sun. The bright background and me probably moving my eyes around a lot kinda made me notice it, and checked when I got home by looking at the sky and moving my eyes.

Thread Information