Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sickness help pleeeease!!!

Sickness help pleeeease!!!

So, I know this is a bad idea because I had therapy last year and promised never to come on this forum or the like again. However, I am now off my meds and my fear is back - although not as bad as before.

I just need a bit of advice. I have posted on a mums forum but the replies have been a bit nasty really and I remember how kind everyone is on here so ended up back.

I have emetophobia (fear of vomit). On Wednesday morning my son (aged 8) said he didn’t fancy any breakfast but said he felt fine.

Picked him up from school and he said he’d felt queasy all afternoon and hadn’t eaten anything and didn’t want any tea. I asked if his tummy hurt and he said only hurt on and off a tiny bit.

He was really pale and went to lay down, at 5.30pm he retched to throw up but nothing came out, he said he felt better after that. However his temperature went up to 38.6c. It was up and down like that for most of the night but he didn’t feel sick anymore and he was having drinks of water and an apple and everything stayed down.

The next day he was fine besides feeling a bit weak - his temp was normal. He wasn’t eating as normal but was eating if that makes sense.

My husband kissed him on the Wednesday night.

Can we catch this bug if there was no active vomit or anything?

It’s been 48hrs since he retched.
    Last edited by Kirbear4; 15-02-19 at 20:43.

Re: Sickness help pleeeease!!!

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

you can catch the bug if he got his germs on you via coughing etc BUT since it is over 48hrs now I think you are in the clear

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Thank you. He did cough on me at one point. My main fear is norovirus but you can only catch that from ingesting particles of the virus in vomit or stool. i.e being next to someone while they vomit, consuming food that an infected person has touched (not washed their hands after going to the loo) and touching infected surfaces then putting your unwashed hands in your mouth. He can be contagious 2 weeks after and the only way you can catch it is via the stool. Therefore, if he didn’t actively vomit (sorry for all you emets) then surely I can’t have ingested the virus?

I’m also an emet. There are no points of contact that could be exposure.
    As always good hand hygiene before you eat, touch mucous membranes etc and I’m sure you will be fine. It could of been any number of things other than a stomach virus also.

Positive vibes,

Mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

Thank you Mouse, it’s always good to hear an opinion of someone who also struggles with emet.

I’m just concerned because he coughed in my face and one point and my husband kissed him on the mouth (I’ve avoided that even still on the 4th day)!

But then at the same time the virus is shed through v or d and I assume only saliva if they have actually v’d.

He has said today he keeps feeling dizzy every now and again so maybe it is just his body fighting off some virus and maybe the fever made him feel icky. Who knows. Will probably start to relax a bit by tomorrow/Tuesday! x

I usually count 72 hours from ‘exposure’ and if I’m fine after that I relax a little more. I very much doubt he has a stomach virus if he’s still not feeling good on the forth day, could be something with his ears? Or just a fever, saliva is only a concern if they have just v. As he hasn’t v at all I would definitely take that as a sign that you are safe here.

Mouse

He’s still acting his normal self but he said occasionally he feels a bit dizzy when he lays down. I did think maybe his ears when it started but he said they felt fine.

I know there are thousands of viruses this could be but I automatically assume noro because that’s what scares me the most.

I go for 4/5 days because in 2015 he had a tummy bug he caught from looking after a poorly girl at school. Everyone was ok after until 5 days later when my husband v’d, 2 days after that I had d. I don’t know whether or not my husband caught it from my son then me from my husband or if it was just coincidence and my husband had picked something up from work. In laws didn’t get anything and they did a majority of the cleaning up so whether it was something like rotavirus that adults don’t usually get I’m not sure. I also had lobster just before mine started and I don’t know whether it was that because it’s happened to me before. D only lasted 2 hours and my husband only v’d once.

I am popping domperidone like nobody’s business (anti sickness tablets) just incase.

So I’m just going to be on edge for a couple more days for both me and my husband. It’s a horrible feeling this waiting game!

I have blitzed everything in the house with bleach everyday since - remotes, light switches, door handles. Every time someone uses the toilet I bleach that and the taps and door handles again.

Thank you so so so much for your reply xx

I get it, I’m on edge about these things too.

I wish you all the best, please feel free to reach out any time you need/want to, it’s a really tricky phobia to deal with.

Mouse

Thank you 😊

Same to you also. We are much better at rationalising things when it comes to other people aren’t we?! 🤷🏼*♀️

Went to the in laws for dinner yesterday - mil collected son from school on the Wednesday so he wasn’t well when she picked him up and the in laws have also remained ok. Surely if it was anything contagious at least 1 out of the 4 of us would have shown signs by now.

Day 5 - keeping fingers well and truly crossed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information