Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry mouth, sore tongue

Dry mouth, sore tongue

Well, I’m back, dealing with this again. For the past week my tongue and roof of my mouth have felt really dry. When I’m eating they feel fine and after I eat they feel ok too. Then the dryness starts again. It’s strange though, because if I look at my tongue or touch it I notice plenty of saliva. When I drink water it tastes kinda funny. Almost bitter. But the taste is subtle.

My tongue also hurts. It’s kind of like the pain you’d get if you licked a sucker a lot or rubbed your teeth with your tongue. It’s mostly on the left side of my tongue. I can’t tell if it’s because I’m swallowing more or if it’s something else, but my tongue doesn’t look red or sore at all.

So, of course I’ve googled all this and scared myself. Knowing what I do about health anxiety, I know I shouldn’t google things.

This is the 3rd time this has happened to be since last summer and I don’t understand it at all. I’m worried it’s a nerve thing (like MS), or that it’s something like Sjogren’s - although my eyes aren’t dry at all. I know that dry mouth can be caused by anxiety, but I have had anxiety for years and this isn’t a typical symptom for me.

Has anyone ever had this?

Re: Dry mouth, sore tongue

It’s winter. It’s cold and dry out.

Ok. Well, I live in a cold and dry state and this is happening intermittently and has just started happening recently. Not sure that’s the cause. And it doesn’t explain why my tongue and roof of my mouth feel sore unless I eat or chew gum.

Quote Originally Posted by fbmb View Post
    Ok. Well, I live in a cold and dry state and this is happening intermittently and has just started happening recently. Not sure that’s the cause. And it doesn’t explain why my tongue and roof of my mouth feel sore unless I eat or chew gum.
    Yes you’re absolutely right....it’s much more likely to be MS or Sjorgens (I don’t even know what that is).

Insert eye roll here....

I didn’t say that it’s much more likely to be those things. I said that I doubt it’s simply the weather. You don’t think I’ve thought of that? I’ve lived here my entire life and this hasn’t happened to me. So, I am doubting the weather as a cause.

Also, just because YOU haven’t heard of something doesn’t mean it isn’t a real disease that other people may have anxiety over.

Lastly, you’re super friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by fbmb View Post
    I didn’t say that it’s much more likely to be those things. I said that I doubt it’s simply the weather. You don’t think I’ve thought of that? I’ve lived here my entire life and this hasn’t happened to me. So, I am doubting the weather as a cause.

Also, just because YOU haven’t heard of something doesn’t mean it isn’t a real disease that other people may have anxiety over.

Lastly, you’re super friendly.
    My point is, you’re taking something that’s EXTREMELY common....dry mouth....and leaping to serious diseases because Google says dry mouth *can* be a symptom. It’s a pattern seen on here 100x a day, and 99.999% of the time, the OP is fine.

If you’re just looking for the requisite reassurance, here you go:

“It’s extremely unlikely that your dry mouth is caused by anything other than dry mouth.”

I was just asking if anyone else experiences this, hoping that someone may be able to offer some insight or helpful tips on how to deal with it. It’s not something I’ve experienced much.

Everyone experiences dry mouth. In the Winter when it's dry, run a humidifier and drink more water. Common sense really

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

This is the first year I’ve had dryness associated with cold weather having lived in the same place my whole life, it really can be that simple.
    Are you taking any medication that could be giving you cotton mouth? Even things that you usually don’t have an issue with, things can just happen.

Positive vibes,

Mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

No, I don’t take any medications. Maybe I’m just hyperfocusing on it. And maybe the soreness is from moving my tongue around a lot. I have no idea. It’s strange how it comes and goes, though the humidity is always low here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information