Thread: Lump in vulva - is it cancer?

Lump in vulva - is it cancer?

Hi all,

I’ve had this fleshy, pink jaggedy lump just above my vagina and under my urethral hole (about the size of a pea) for about 5 years now. I initially got it checked out by my GP who said it was my hymen (??) that had stretched out.
    At the time i left it, but now its still there and a little bigger and im not convinced about the hymen argument. Similarly sex has been a bit painful lately and my labia are also browning at the ends?!

I am so so worried its vulva cancer and even more worried that ive left it for 5 years and could have spread and then i’d have little luck beating it.

Can anyone help offer advice or rationalise?

Thanks.

Re: Lump in vulva - is it cancer?

Have you been to your gynecologist since it appeared? That would be my first stop vs. GP. I know things worked differently in the UK, but do you have a dedicated OBGYN you see annually?

The first thing I'd think of is a cyst. Have you heard of a bartholin cyst? They are cysts that occur on the vulva. They aren't serious but can become painful if they get infected. You just need to have them drained I think. I would definitely make an appointment to see your doctor to check it out since you're having discomfort. No sense having pain and worry if it's something simple.

Could it possibly be from the urethra?

I have a urethral diverticulum, and it comes and goes in size. Mine is asymptomatic, except for a very small amt of tenderness at times. But, some people get a lot of pain with them, painful sex, and chronic UTIs.

Bottom line- you need to see a GYN.

To get mine diagnosed, I was sent to a gynecological urologist. But I am in US, so different system.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

@ErinKC I appreciate trying to comfort the OP, but bartholin cysts are traumatic and recurrence causes internal scar tissue and in my case after repeated surgeries I have chronic nerve pain. My OBGYN also told me they aren't serious ... for a few some, such as I, they have destroyed lives

If the lump was cancerous, it wouldn’t have just sat there for 5 years - it would grow, and metastasise, and you’d know all about it.

It’s likely to be a little cyst or something. I have one in the same place, which has been there for at least 10 years. Doesn’t hurt, hasn’t enlarged - I had a nurse look at it during a smear test, ages ago, and she wasn’t remotely concerned about it. Neither am I. You don’t have vulval cancer!

If you’re experiencing pain during sex, you might want to speak with your GP or a nurse - NOT because there’s anything to worry about, but because they may be able to investigate the cause which is important for your comfort.

@maryjane I'm so sorry you've had that experience and that my comment minimized the potential for them to be more serious for some. I know exactly how you feel as I have dealt with fibroids for many years, which all doctors told me are nothing to worry about. Then, in 2011 one that had grown to 14cm became necrotic and I needed immediate emergency surgery to remove it, along with 2 liters of fluid that had built up in my abdomen. It was extremely traumatic. So, I absolutely understand how saying something is not serious can be upsetting and damaging to others. My apologies!

Thread Information