Thread: I have no idea about medication.

I have no idea about medication.

I have zero clue about meds and I would really like help getting educated on them. I have been struggling alot lately, with anxiety, intrusive thoughts, false memory OCD, paranoia etc (the whole lot basically) and it's stealing hours of my days from me. I cannot function well, I am falling behind on my work and I really cannot afford to do that.

My family GP isn't very good at prescribing meds, I remember I asked before and she told me to wait because I was too young. Well, I am older now and I still feel like I need something to cope. Is there something out there that could help control my high levels of anxiety/thoughts so I can just do my daily tasks atleast?

Is there something that has worked for you, that hasn't further enhanced anything I have mentioned that I already suffer from? I ask so that I can have some information to present to the GP.

Just since we are on the topic, is there anything herbal that has worked for anyone? I know it's not the same, and I don't mean to insult anyone by asking that, but I have seen things like 'kalms' at the chemist, and I just wonder if there is anything that actually has some effect that isn't a prescription drug.

Thankyou if you reply to me X

Re: I have no idea about medication.

Hi Mav, did you go to see your doctor already?

Kalms do work for some people. Some people find success with CBD oil or a change in diet.

I personally take fluoxetine that works well for my mood but only lessens my anxiety. I get diazepam now and then to help me through. Sorry that I couldn't be of more help but I hope that someone comes on soon with some answers xxx

Re: I have no idea about medication.

Herbals are worth a go but they need trying to see if they help. There is a lot on the internet about them but doctors won't be very knowledgeable of them.

I find a site called Examine Supplements good as it quotes studies and whether they are viewed as credible. It gives plenty of the science but uses round up boxes too so you can skip over that.

There is the inositol sticky thread by psychopoet which is good. His guide to meds (sticky on the Citalopram board, I think) is good too, although may be out of date in some respects.

There are some good threads by SADNoMore covering vitamin D3 & K2 (K2 needed once over a certain dose with D3 to prevent problems) and I can give you some good threads/external links for magnesium which explains which types help what and how the supplement market is misleading (and how to get around them). I've had some success with vitamin D3 and mood swings caused by meds but there are some things you need to understand about the EPA/DHA relationship (and science is divided on it as studies conflict.

Meds wise, what do you want to know? Some of us on here have done their reading up (some others started me off on this when I joined here), and there are some great posts from Ian (panic down under) who used to have his own meds info site but he seems to have left now, so can answer some questions. We can explain how they work, the half life issues and how they affect you, what your GP is likely to do (NICE guidance is available showing what to do as is NHS guidance), etc.

Science only goes so far with these meds though. Without getting into liver enzyme testing, which is all new stuff and the NHS won't do it anyway, it's a bit of a minefield where you have to try to find out and even then it's completely individual and not a doctor in the world can tell you how it will go for you, only how it may/should go.

Thread Information