Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I go about getting rid of my water intoxication fear?

How do I go about getting rid of my water intoxication fear?

Hey guys,
    Not here to ramble per say but more just to ask how I go about breaking an irrational fear.

I've been worried about drinking too much lately.

I always keep a drink diary,
    Drank half a cup of Tea this morning, nearly half a bottle of water over the day, two cups of pop, nearly a whole hot chocolate Etc

I write out when they were spaced to make sure I don't go over a dangerous limit but it's really starting to affect me, it uses up a lot of my time, prevents me getting things done.
    And I just read the list and panic, waiting for signs and symptoms after that hot chocolate lol

I know this fear is a bit silly it's just breaking my habits I guess?

Been good with everything else otherwise x

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn."

"Be gentle with yourself, you're doing the best you can"

Re: How do I go about getting rid of my water intoxication fear?

You have hardly drank anything though - you would have to drink gallons and gallons of water.

Stop writing it down for starters

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by Clydesdale Epona View Post
    I always keep a drink diary,

How do I go about getting rid of my water intoxication fear?
    - Stop doing the above would be a very good start.

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

^ exactly that. You are creating an issue which must be monitored. Giving importance, along with protecting from a fear, to something that isn't.

Trust to natural signs of the body. If you are thirsty, you obviously need to drink. If you are drinking heavily you will spend your day on the toilet!

Forget the stories of deaths due to overhydration, these people took it too absolutely mad levels. That's why it's so rare.

It’s recommended that we get something like two litres of water over the day. You are no where near that, I’m not either but I usually manage something close to 1.5 litres over 24hours. What you’re worried about would take a considerable amount of water quickly.

Drink to your thirst, your body is not trying to trick you.

Positive vibes,

Mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

Thanks guys, i know i'm being silly but trying my hardest

the issue is when college closes for half term so does my counselling i guess aha

Not sure when this came about, but think lately i've drinking a lot just because, i have an issue with gulping because what i drink usually tastes nice so thats what worried me, it did stem from me thinking i had diabetes so i thought i had no limit or knowing when to stop? i got obsessed over drinking so much in an hour and no more, and stopped enjoying things such as hot chocolates because it was 'wasted' fluids. if my urine was clear i would cut down a while.

ripped the pages out me diary and just doodle when i want to write what i drink, not a good drawer but its entertaining aha

Quote Originally Posted by Clydesdale Epona View Post
    Thanks guys, i know i'm being silly but trying my hardest

the issue is when college closes for half term so does my counselling i guess aha

Not sure when this came about, but think lately i've drinking a lot just because, i have an issue with gulping because what i drink usually tastes nice so thats what worried me, it did stem from me thinking i had diabetes so i thought i had no limit or knowing when to stop? i got obsessed over drinking so much in an hour and no more, and stopped enjoying things such as hot chocolates because it was 'wasted' fluids. if my urine was clear i would cut down a while.

ripped the pages out me diary and just doodle when i want to write what i drink, not a good drawer but its entertaining aha
    You're having maybe 1 litre?

I quite easily drink 3 litres+ a day, and I'm still here. Have gone to 4 some days if training hard.

I don't know if it makes you feel any better but I used to drink 6 liters of water daily for years(I drink 4 now)and nothing happened,I didn't get water intoxication or anything...I did freak out when I found out that you're not supposed to drink so much water,so I had blood work done,everything came back normal!Oddly enough I didn't have health anxiety back then

Don't drink a gallon of water in an hour, and you won't get it. To get anything close to water intoxication, you have to drink a phenomenally large amount of water in an amazing short period of time. It is rare because it is damn hard to do.

Hey guys thanks for the replies been busy on my week off so haven't replied but I am genuinely grateful ��

I'm going to the doctors when I get home because my tonsil stones are plaguing me with dry mouth which hasn't helped in drinking more, I've always been more of a drink than eater though aha

Doing pretty good so far, had a day or two where I would limit myself as not to drink too much in a hour but got better, had a big cuppa at Morrisons this morning and still got home and had some cola an hour or two after (usually I get too scaredfor a while haha)

I had originally read that you shouldn't drink more than a liter an hour which lead to obsessive restrictions but I've since found that must be quite hard to do haha you'd have to down two bottles of cola(500ml ones) so with rationality I've been able to let myself go a little x

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information