Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Abnormal cells diary...

Abnormal cells diary...

Nobody has to reply but I'm so very worried about my latest tests that I would like an outlet. I don't want to talk to people about it as I am worried of annoying people and can't seem to take their reassurances on board for very long. I've not been this anxious over anything since I was a teenager.

I have a history of abnormal cells, starting from age 19. The cells have been with me for 9 years now. Starting at borderline and making their way to mild and then high grade moderate. I fell pregnant before treatment and at my postnatal smear I had a normal result. I feel that this was wrong and my nurse suspects as much although it's not worth the audit to see.

I had a smear test last year following concerning symptoms. Bleeding after sex, in-between periods, irregular periods and longer bleeding with a change in blood colour and texture. The nurse did my smear and then said she would like to her a doctor to take a look at my cervix. She called the doctor in and between them were talking about the appearance of my cervix and the bleeding that the smear induced. She said it was probably a cervical ectropion. They decided to fast-track me to the Colposcopy clinic and the screen said 'suspected gynaelogical cancer'

The GYN took an endometrial biopsy that was normal, I also had a transvaginal scan to check uterus and ovaries. Nothing to worry about except a small fibroid and an ovarian cyst. He didn't think these were related to my symptoms. He said that he would biopsy my cervix following my smear results.

The nurse that took my smear didn't fill the specimen pot in and so it couldn't be sent for testing. I had been called back to the GYN clinic and for a smear (after waiting 3 months to allow the cells to settle) but I delayed it for 9 months due to a bad time with PTSD. OFC I'm kicking myself for it now but there's no point in beating myself up.

I went back for my smear in December and the results arrived after 3 weeks - 'high grade dyskarosis (moderate)'. I was scheduled in for a Colposcopy which I had to delay due to a long period. They rearranged it for a fortnight later.

I went and the doctor said most of my cells were abnormal but some were really abnormal. He examined me and showed me my cervix on a screen. It was red and bumpy with acetowhite areas following the application of acetic acid. He did a loop excision there and then which was traumatic in itself!!!

I laid in the chair with my vagina at eye level to this male doctor, in and out of dissociation. My ears kept ringing and I was holding my best friends hand. Then they injected my cervix four times with anaesthetic and adrenaline (latter to lessen the bleeding apparently), so my heart went crazy and my legs went weird. It was horrid. I didn't feel the procedure apart from pelvic pressure and the room filled with the smell of burning flesh.

Afterwards questions kept coming to me but I was pretty dissociated and the only thing I asked him is 'Did it look CIN 2?' to which he said did that little horizontal wave thing with his hand and said '2-3'. I've never had CIN 3 before. The stage before cancer. I've read it's impossible to differentiate between colposcopically and that only the histology will tell. Also to note is that my highest grade area seemed to be next to the os, within my ectropion, so I'm anticipating a diagnosis of high grade CGIN and CIN 3. If not worse. I hope it's not worse.

The doctor said he would write to me within four weeks with results and then I'd go back to 6 monthly smears. Afterwards he said "I'll write to you and we will take it from there".

I'm a member of the Jostrust forum (which is amazing btw for anyone going through similar) and what seems to happen is that good results (i.e. a abnormalities excised with clear margins) arrive between 3&4 weeks. Bad results (CGIN, unclear margins or malignancy) arrive sooner. Some people have received a phonecall on day 9 or 10 post-LLETZ, some have received a letter 10-21 says post-LLETZ to come and 'discuss results'. I am on day 6 tomorrow and are anxiously counting down to day 14, when I hope that I can breathe a little.

Re: Abnormal cells diary...

Day 6 today. See this morning I'm more level-headed. I have read my above post back and thought that everything is probably going to be okay. The waiting makes me anxious, I think. I've 8 more days to get to believing that I will have good news.

Que Cera.

Waiting is so hard, Emma, especially when you have a lot of knowledge about your issues and fear the worst. You just want to know yet are at the mercy of the doctors and their testing.Anyone would be very stressed by all this, anxiety disorder or not. Please keep posting on your thread and tell us how you are coping? xx

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

You will make it to Day 14 and beyond, Emma. Stay strong and positive!

Never Surrender, Comrade

Good luck Emma. I think you're handling this so well. You're one of the loveliest, kindest people on here and I hate to think how anxious you must be - although good to hear you're feeling a bit better at the moment. I wish I could do or say something to help but I'm sure the only thing that will help is getting those clear results through. Not too much longer to wait now!

Thank you Pulisa and Alex! Your comment Pulisa made me feel very normal, in a way. I think people would be stressed about it wouldn't they.

Jenny thank you so much for that comment! I know this sounds cliche but I mean it when I say that you don't know how much that means to me to hear that.

---

I'm having a bad day with the worry today. It's day 7! So another 7 days and I'll begin to relax hopefully. It ebbs and flows, yesterday was a good day and today I seem to be convinced that I'm going to have bad news. Nothing came in the post but I had a missed call from a local landline - it was nothing but I definitely think it was the trigger for today's panic. I was so sure I was going to answer and it would be the hospital requesting an appointment.

I know I need to relax about this but the waiting is god awful. I've isolated myself from my friends recently, aside from a few visits to see my bestie on an evening. I haven't seen my family this week, it won't be helping I know. Every day I am comparing pictures of adenocarcinoma and cervical ectropion. I've been trying to find out if ectropion abnormalities mean CGIN or adenocarcinoma in situ. I'm obsessed. I do well and then I see some results and that make me relax and start to believe that I'll probably be fine, but then I see other things that scare the shit out of me. I recognise that this is unhealthy and I need more reassurance and then more and more and it's not enough. I need that letter in my hand to say that it was all removed with clear margins!

I don't want to talk to people in real life about this. I don't feel like I can talk to my therapist about it because she's had cervical cancer, so I don't feel comfortable discussing it. She survived full blown cancer and I'm just here worrying about what my results will be.

I'm smoking a lot of cigarettes. Comfort eating roast potatoes with gravy (3x this week. How nice are they though?!) and playing poker online! Currently £40 down.

Today I tried harder to live normally and walked the dog with the kids and then took them to the cinema. My 3 year old needed 4(!!!!) toilet breaks though and every time I took her to the toilet I checked my phone, voicemail and then googled more Colposcopy images to try and find something akin to mine. It's all consuming and it's driving me INSANE.#

Still. It's been a whole week since my procedure. If it's bad I should hear within the next 7 days. I know that it probably won't be bad. But I don't believe that it won't. If that makes sense. Plus I can't even have a bath for another 3 weeks, which is just plain mean.

Not even sure what I've just typed but it was nice to get it out! Day 8 tomorrow..

Thanks again guys, I love this place.
    xx
    Last edited by EmmerLooeez; 19-02-19 at 22:46.

Oh you’re doing so well! I’m sorry I haven’t seen this before.
    I had one of those “suspected gynaecological cancer” screens 2 months ago. I didn’t stop shaking for 2 days I think, it was terrifying. But I do think it’s just the form that they have to fill in.

Mine was clear, I’m going to wait with you for you to get the all clear too.

Also, my 4 year old daughter went for 3 wees during Mary Poppins at the end of December while I was going through this - I think she was hoping I’d buy more popcorn every time we left the cinema .

Also also,roast potatoes are my favourite food I think. I ate them with lasagne 3 times last week. Delicious

Hugs xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Scass!! Can I ask what tests you had? I'm so very pleased that your results came back clear!! It's a scary time isn't it.

Day 8 today!

Children hey? I think some of the times she just forced herself to go to the toilet for something to do. I haven't seen the new Mary Poppins yet. I forgot that I wanted to watch it!

Thank you for your wonderful comment. Xxx

Thinking of you, Emma - you're one of the kindest people on here. Every passing day makes it more likely everything's going to be okay.

I have a half-day at work today so I'm going home via the chip shop. Chips with gravy are a decent substitute for roasties (plus, fried chicken!)

Thank you so much Iris. That's gorgeous of you to say.

Haha chips and gravy are amazing also!! We're going out for Mexican tonight so I'm sure that will take my mind of things for a little while lol.

I had a missed call and voicemail from the doctors surgery at 12.20, it turned out to be nothing but it has sent me into a spiral. I then decided to just call the gynaecology clinic to ask how long results are taking at the moment and she told me they can take up to 8 weeks. I absolutely cannot live like this for 8 weeks. :( 6 days to go until I've hit the two week mark and then hopefully I will relax a little bit.

I'm working tonight, but I'm only on call so I can go to sleep. But following that I am working 8-2 tomorrow so I'll be at work for 18 hours. I really don't feel up to it :( We need the money however and I already called in sick on Monday so I'm going to make myself go. The waiting is horrible.
    The postman has already been today and nothing has been so I'm just going to sit tight for another couple of weeks I guess. The longer the wait the better, I know that. However some ladies have waited 3 weeks to be told that they have cancer, so I won't believe I'm fully out of the woods until that letter has landed. My husband finishes work at 2pm today so I'm going to go for a nap afterwards so that I can just stop thinking.
    x

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information