Thread: Meningitis?

Meningitis?

Have a history with health anxiety sort of, always took the doctors advice though. However at this time I cant exactly make an appointment, debating on if my symptoms are worth going to the ER for, I don't want to waste their time. Threw up earlier today and my neck feels unusual, not sure if I'd say stiff since I can move it, maybe its tension. Over the last 42 hours I'd say I've gotten only eight hours of sleep with two four hour naps, the neck tightness happened last night and I haven't vomited since and I have no fever, headache, or any of that. Should I go to the ER for these symptoms, or see a doctor w appointment about my lack of sleep? I don't get out much at all, so i rarely get sick the worst I had was a cold last year.

Sorry for the long one, need honest advice.

Re: Meningitis?

Hiyer, I can't see which country you are in....if UK I would ring for some advice on 111 or your GP surgery. I know you sayu you can't make an appointment, and the very fact that you are saying you have no headache or fever is a good sign, so I would say dashing off to A and E wouldn't be right (as you are well enough to be posting on here), but it sounds like you need someone with medical knowledge to talk you through things and reassure you and double check nothing is being missed. I've just copied this meningitis information off the web, so if you check the list....it doesn't sound like you have those symptoms.....just you have been sick once and your neck feels 'unusual'?

• Fever, cold hands and feet
    • Vomiting
    • Drowsy, difficult to wake
    • Confusion and irritability
    • Severe muscle pain
    • Pale, blotchy skin. Spots/rash
      See the Glass Test
    • Severe headache
    • Stiff neck
    • Dislike bright lights
    • Convulsions/seizures

Is it possible you have slept funny? my neck is usually stiff/sore because of how i sleep x

They always say to trust your instincts, you would know for sure.

do you have any out of hours numbers you can ring? we have a service here to ring if we're unsure, i don't think you need to rush off to the ER as you have no headache, aren't throwing up anymore, and have no rash or fever. i think see a doctor if you're really worried or ring someone up

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn."

"Be gentle with yourself, you're doing the best you can"

Wretching when being sick can make your neck a bit rickety too !

Seems as you have the energy to poat on here i can only imagine you would be like a wet letuce with menigitus as a flue is bqd enough to make you veg out

untreated meningitis is fatal within hours...not days

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Thanks everyone! Finally got some sleep, about fifteen hours. Still don't feel sick at all and the neck is starting to feel better, I'll take everyones advice here. Something as little as stress can cause a stiff neck, or my absolutely awful posture can do it... and i just jump to the conclusion that its some disease that can kill me within hours. With only... one symptom. I'd be too sick to post on here if I had meningitis for three days, or dead. The worst thing I have is feeling really silly like I do every time I jump to conclusions like this. :L

Thread Information