Thread: A little TMI: Interstitial cystitis with bleeding?

Question A little TMI: Interstitial cystitis with bleeding?

Hello! I had a small smear of blood on my toilet paper twice, once at Christmas (Dec. 25) when I was otherwise symptom-free but under intense stress, and once again just this weekend during a bad Interstitial Cystitis (IC) flare. My urine looks normal. I don't have spotting in my underwear. And in-office urine tests show no white ir red blood cells. My doctor believes this is IC.

I've had an IC flare before, but not with blood. Is it possible to have a couple isolated incidents of a tiny smear of blood with IC?
    I encourage anyone who's struggling with their doctor to take your health into your own hands. You can always start by checking reviews at www.RateMDs.com. And don't forget to leave a positive review for the doctors you appreciate! FYI: Here are some tips on writing an online review of your doctors: http://abt.cm/1lZUdaF

Re: A little TMI: Interstitial cystitis with bleeding?

I had slight blood show up on the toilet paper again today, sadly *after* I had seen my family doctor. But even so, I told her about the previous two times I had blood, and she wants to wait two more weeks. I don't know how I'm going to survive the pain and uncertainty of all this.

The pain is difficult to manage, and the bleeding triggers my anxiety. My doctor said it's not unheard of to have bleeding with interstitial cystitis, but I wish I knew for sure. The waiting and uncertainty are so very hard.
    I encourage anyone who's struggling with their doctor to take your health into your own hands. You can always start by checking reviews at www.RateMDs.com. And don't forget to leave a positive review for the doctors you appreciate! FYI: Here are some tips on writing an online review of your doctors: http://abt.cm/1lZUdaF

Hi Bulan,

I have IC and early on did have microscopic blood during an intense flare period. I think microscopic bleeding is common as is some small amounts of visual bleeding. Do you know if it's from your urethra and not from other parts? I only ask because once I had a bad flare I thought it I was bleeding from my urethra but it was early period spotting. I've been dealing with mid-cycle bleeding for the last two cycles and often need to figure out where it is coming from, my urethra or uterus. You can check easily with a clean q-tip to see if it is coming from your uterus. Sorry you had to deal with a bad flare recently. I hope you are doing better!

PS. I wanted to add that during my worst flares and/or periods of anxiety, I do deep breathing. I lie flat on my back and gently place my hands on my lower abdomen and slowly breathed in and out, raising my abdomen with my inhale and lowering during my exhale. Sometimes it's the only tool I have to offer me any sort of relief. I practice it everyday and it helps tremendously with somatic anxiety. Feel better soon!!
    Last edited by MJunderway; 20-02-19 at 21:28. Reason: additional thoughts

I've not been in this situation, so I don't have any advice for you unfortunately. I just wanted to say that I'm sending love and that I hope that your anxiety will lessen and the flare up will be over quickly.

Whilst the blood is more than likely from your IC flare, I agree with the above comment re: checking to fully establish where the bleeding is coming from, especially as there was no blood in your urine sample - although like I say, I know nothing about IC and it's probably completely normal.

xxx

Thread Information