Thread: beta blocker side effects

beta blocker side effects

Hi,
    I started taking my beta blocker yesterday (25mg atenolol) & I really wish I hadn't bothered.
    Within an hour of taking it I got a headache which was on & off all day.
    I felt some nausea & then this developed in to an uncomfortable pressure feeling in my upper abdomen which went through to my back.
    My eyes are sore,I feel hot & clammy & this has all sent my anxiety soaring!
    I'm supposed to be taking them for palpitations & anxiety but I would rather deal with those than the way I feel right now. Both my anxiety & palps had been better lately but as the cardio suggested BB's I thought I ought to try them.
    I am sitting here getting 'muffled' palpitations & I'm sure that's because I feel panicky about these side effects.
    I have rung my doctor & she's going to ring me back later but I just don't want to take them anymore. It's taken me months to pluck up the courage to take something & now I'm more scared of these drugs than of the original cause.
    Can anyone relate to what I'm experiencing?
    Thanks guys!
    Seffie xx

Re: beta blocker side effects

I've never had them but beta-blockers do often have various side-effects, of course not for everyone, but it sounds like they did for you.
    Dont let this put you off meds alltogether and scare you away from any form of medication, its quite common to have reactions like this and it simply means you should stop taking them and your doctor will try something new.
    However if you feel you can cope without them anyway it would save alot of hassle.
    Hope youre feeling ok now : )

there are many types of beta blockers, i have one for when my anxiety flares, which have no side affects on me, that i know of anyway. Its different with every person though, so maybe your doctor can suggest a different one.

i doubt you'll have any medicaion without side effects but i hope that you can find one thats right for you

feel better
    xxx

AND YOU'LL HAVE THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE

p.s not too much though, be HAPPY

Hi Beauty & Sammi,
    Thanks for taking the time to reply!
    I spoke to my doctor who said that these symptoms don't sound like atenolol side effects-I wanted to say-read the leaflet!! But didn't!
    Anyway, she suggested that maybe I'm just abit sensitive to it & to try cutting it in half & take a smaller dose. I plan to do this for a week & if I still don't feel right I shall wean myself off them.
    I already have enough to cope with at the moment-CFS & perimenopause & I really can't cope with taking a medication that just gives me more scary symptoms to deal with.
    The headache does seem to be abit better but the stomach discomfort is really unpleasant, I'm not sleeping well & my anxiety is up which seems to have got my palpitations going again-lovely!!
    Thanks again for your advice!
    Seffie xx

Thread Information