Thread: Sudden increase in heart rate worrying me greatly

Sudden increase in heart rate worrying me greatly

Hello everybody,

I'd otherwise been doing fine with my health anxiety for quite some time, however that seems to have changed today.

I was sat doing work as normal when I suddenly felt a slight flutter in my heart. Within moments, I could feel my heart beating rapidly, pounding away in my chest, and immediately reasoned that I was having a heart attack. I got up and took a walk, which made me feel better, somewhat, however whenever I returned to where I was sitting, I immediately noticed it again, and after taking several "walks" to calm down felt that it would be best if I just went home since I didn't need to be out anyway.

All day, I've been conscious of my heart rate, and felt it's been heavy and more rapid then usual. Just now, it seemed to worsen dramatically again, and I decided to use a home blood pressure monitor and found that over a few readings, my heart rate was consistently around 101- beyond the normal range, and my blood pressure was 135/88, higher than it should be.

My biggest fear right now is that I'll have a heart attack in the middle of the night, and die due to nobody noticing.

I suppose I'm just looking for some short term reassurance to get me through the night at least, and I'd really appreciate some people commenting. How do you cope with your fears over heart problems?

Re: Sudden increase in heart rate worrying me greatly

Hi, I feel for you. I am going through heart worries myself at the moment. Your blood pressure isn't that high, mine has been higher and the doctor wasn't concerned. Anxiety puts it up. I have had the racing heart on and off over many years. I have had many tests, all normal, even 4 ECGs just before Christmas. Now I have the horrible missed heartbeats and had an ECG two days ago. The nurse who did it said it had picked up the missed beats, no one has said that before, so that panicked me. Then she said I had to see the doctor I might need more tests and treatment. A routine appointment she said so I have to wait two weeks to see the doctor. I am living in fear all the time now as she didn't say what it might be. She told me to carry on as normal and even go dancing but I did yesterday and was aware of my heart and afraid. I'm sure this is making my heart feel worse and it is probably the case with you. I live alone so I know it is scary at night.See how you go and see a doctor if you are too worried, they often put your mind at rest. With me its just this nurse, I am hoping I can get more reassurance from the the doctor. I think it is difficult to cope with heart worries when we are anxious like we are. A doctor said to me some years ago when I saw him about my heart behaving weird, it will settle now when you do. I hope you can, I wish I could. It is easier said than done. I do know how you feel, you are not alone. Reply if you wish with any questions or whatever.

Re: Sudden increase in heart rate worrying me greatly

Thank you very much for the reply, it really helped calm me down.

I was amazed how out of nowhere I could sink right back into full blown panic attacks after a good 5 or so months of feeling great. I'd never really put much thought towards my heart until yesterday, and now I'm obsessed.
    Thankfully, I was able to get to sleep, and have felt better today- although still feel that there are periods where my heart rate seems to spike, and I have an overwhelming sense of anxiety, and an immense unease, however I hope this can largely be attributed to anxiety more than an actual problem. I know when it comes to your heart, it's probably better to be safe than sorry when it comes to seeing a doctor, however I think I might wait and see if my experience continues to ease over the next few days.

Thread Information