Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tests

Re: Tests

My son has tachycardia on 300mg ven but also has a hole in the heart. His ECG was dodgy so he's been referred for an echocardiogram to check as to whether the ven has made things worse from the last echo 2 years ago. His BP was normal but he's having a whole range of bloods done next week.

Psychiatrist didn't ask for cardiac tests. I got him to go to the GP but initially GP said that ven isn't associated with potential cardiac probs. She changed her mind after the ECG.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Quote Originally Posted by pulisa View Post
    My son has tachycardia on 300mg ven but also has a hole in the heart. His ECG was dodgy so he's been referred for an echocardiogram to check as to whether the ven has made things worse from the last echo 2 years ago. His BP was normal but he's having a whole range of bloods done next week.

Psychiatrist didn't ask for cardiac tests. I got him to go to the GP but initially GP said that ven isn't associated with potential cardiac probs. She changed her mind after the ECG.
    And you did absolutely the right thing, Cmrd P, as Ven IS associated with frequent negative cardiac side effects: it can raise BP, increase heart rate, and bad cholesterol levels. It certainly isn't suitable, especially at the dose your son is on, for those with pre-existing cardiac issues.

I am only stating my opinion here, but think it would be wise, depending on his mental state, to slowly reduce the Ven and get him off it completely (as you successfully did with your daughter).

He is lucky to have such a caring and informed mum as yourself, and I know you will do the right thing

Never Surrender, Comrade

Thanks, KK. That elusive "right thing"...Will have to have strong words with the prescribing psych and get a second opinion if needed. Will need to chase up the heart echo too. I have zero confidence in the local services.

Thank God, you seem to have more experience and knowledge than the pros Pulisa. I agree with KK, your son is lucky to have you as a mum. x

I'm not so sure of that, carnation, but thank you! x

My "knowledge" is only a result of having to deal with a lot of crap over the years. I've just had enough now and challenge the "experts" when i feel it's justified. It's down to anger really and frustration at not being able to make things better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information