Thread: Pain just under ribs

Pain just under ribs

I've had IBS for many years. Triggers are tummy bugs and stress. Symptoms are always aggravated by anxiety. (I have HA)

I'm having a flare-up which started with a tummy bug a month ago. Im extremely anxious about my symptoms and added to that I've just moved to another country.
    I have mostly wind, bloating and stomach cramps.
    It disappears at night and arrives back about an hour after I wake up.

The pain seems to be moving, one day its low down, the next day its just below my ribs, which I never had before.

Ive seen the doctor who confirmed IBS and gave me Mebeverine for cramps and Ativan for anxiety.
    I'm following the FODMAP diet.

But my anxiety is sky high and the only relief I get is when I knock myself out with tranqs and sleep.

Im really worried that this time its something else.
    Any reassurance would be very welcome.

Re: Pain just under ribs

Hi, I have also had IBS for many years and I find the doctor reassures me for a while and then I get a different pain in a different place, and off I go again having terrible thoughts. Try and believe the doctor. I have had the pain just below the ribs. I was told by a doctor years ago that if a pain moves that's a good sign. I have had general anxiety for nearly 50 years. I do have periods when it is much better. My IBS is much better than it was, but my anxiety is high at the moment concerning my heart. I long for peace of mind as no doubt you do too. Hope it all settles down for you soon.

Thank you so much Chinadoll, for your reassuring reply. It has helped me a lot!
    I am sending you a private message.

I've been having pain under both ribs on and off since probably this time last year - although it is more on than off recently. I've had two ultrasounds and a gastroscopy and countless blood tests and nothing untoward has been found, apart from my previously diagnosed hiatus hernia. It has gotten more frequent in the last fortnight though, not pain as such, more discomfort and griping type pain. I've had another lot of blood done earlier in the week and was normal apart from slightly raised protein level which the doctor was not concerned about. She said it is likely a side effect of the hernia, but gave me some medication to try as it 'might' be IBS. She has referred me for yet another ultrasound just to be on the safe side, even though I only had one in November of last year.

Thread Information