Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Period is wacky

Re: Period is wacky

Still bleeding when I wipe and very anxious over it all.

Day 17 and bleeding as if I just started my period again.

Are you seeing the nurse tomorrow ?

I am seeing the gynecologist. I am very nervous. Just wanted some reassurance if there is any.

I think there will be some logical and benign cause for this, just a gut feeling I have. Its come on so quickly and suddenly, the change....if this is your first ever 'whacky' period.

No it isn’t. This started in Oct of last year. I was spotting between periods and then the time between periods were very short. My dr said she thought it was hormones so I didn’t do anything. Then in December I felt faint one day (I was bleeding at the time) and I went to the ER. This is when they gave me the ultrasound, told me they saw a 4 cm cyst that was benign and I needed to follow up with my gynecologist. So I followed up with her and she read the report and said she believes the bleeding and spotting was due to the cyst and I just had to let it run it’s course. I had a heavy period the end of dec, and no spotting after. I had another normal period in January. And now this one is back to being odd. I have to also point out that I have been under an extreme amount of stress.

Well, the good news is - you've had an ultrasound recently ! If they 'just' found the cyst and a gynae saw that report, then it really sounds like you possibly just have 'more of the same'. There could be another cyst, it could be that you started on the hormonal journey that is peri-meno last October! See, what you are describing, the short cycles of last year were exactly what I had for two years, and spotting midcycle was part of it, both of which are very common. I think you should feel reassured by the fact that you have had two entirely normal periods inbetween the 'cyst episode' and it all does point to something oddly hormonal in the fact that you are experiencing irregularity. I've said this before, but 38 is an entirely feasible time for there to be a dropping off of progesterone, and general hormonal changes associated with the reproductive cycle winding down. I would be interested to hear what your gynae thinks tomorrow, and I'm sure they will run any test needed (if any are needed) and keep a very good eye out for you. I know its frightening and really unsettling when things don't do as we are used to them doing, but please remember that most uterine cancer cases are in post-menopausal women.

Thank you so much. Since you mentioned it, about a year ago my primary doctor ran tests and said I was estrogen dominant. So I guess my progesterone was low a year ago. It’s all making a bit more sense.

Right if you were oestrogen dominant, and had low progesterone a year ago.....then that would mean that you are probably having some cycles where you are not ovulating.

Low progesterone may cause abnormal uterine bleeding in women who aren’t pregnant. Irregular or absent periods may indicate poorly functioning ovaries and low progesterone.
    Progesterone is the first hormone to alter as you enter perimenopause (followed by oestrogen diminishing much later), and once it is out of kilter with oestrogen all sorts of irregularities occur.

Now look, until you've seen the gynae tomorrow you won't know if there is another cyst or polyp or whatever......but just incase you do come out and they think its perimenopause, I'll post this link. This site is great and you can find loads of real information on it, that always makes me feel a bit better if I'm having a symptom I didn't expect. Bookmark it for the future (there is info on progesterone near the bottom of the page)

http://www.cemcor.ubc.ca/resources/l.../perimenopause

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information