Thread: Can you inhale food without coughing?

Can you inhale food without coughing?

I made a bacon sandwich whilst googling symptoms and self diagnosed myself with gallbladder problems obviously. It said that when you go to the doctors they will have you lay down on the couch and will feel your abdomen and ask you to breathe in and press their hand in this certain place to see if it hurts. If it hurts it's your gallbladder.

So I ****ing laid down like a DICK with food in my mouth still and then did the breathing in thing and pressed my tummy and all was okay etc. Did this for a few minutes. Then when I sat up I realised the food had gone. So did I instinctively swallow it or did I breathe it in??? I've been making myself cough loads and nothing is coming up but I am a bit wheezy. I was wheezy the other night tho so is it just a chest infection that's wrong with me? Or did I breathe food in?

I'm currently feeling like there will be food in my windpipe and it will swell shut due to irritation and then I'll die.
    My chest is sore probably from coughing so much but of course I am convinced that it is because I have inhaled food.

I am such a mess, this is horrible and I don't want to live like this any more :( I absolutely cannot cope.

Re: Can you inhale food without coughing?

You ate it, this is just an intrusive thought.

There would of been absolutely no way to inhale it without choking and being very aware of what you’ve done.

Positive vibes,

Mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by EmmerLooeez View Post
    I made a bacon sandwich whilst googling symptoms and self diagnosed myself with gallbladder problems obviously. It said that when you go to the doctors they will have you lay down on the couch and will feel your abdomen and ask you to breathe in and press their hand in this certain place to see if it hurts. If it hurts it's your gallbladder.

So I ****ing laid down like a DICK with food in my mouth still and then did the breathing in thing and pressed my tummy and all was okay etc. Did this for a few minutes. Then when I sat up I realised the food had gone. So did I instinctively swallow it or did I breathe it in??? I've been making myself cough loads and nothing is coming up but I am a bit wheezy. I was wheezy the other night tho so is it just a chest infection that's wrong with me? Or did I breathe food in?

I'm currently feeling like there will be food in my windpipe and it will swell shut due to irritation and then I'll die.
    My chest is sore probably from coughing so much but of course I am convinced that it is because I have inhaled food.

I am such a mess, this is horrible and I don't want to live like this any more :( I absolutely cannot cope.
    As someone with gallstones I can tell you there is more to a diagnosis than just lying down. And there is no way you would have inhaled food without knowing it.

Right, well, firstly......one could view this as karma from googling and being silly and trying to diagnose gallstones LOL

Secondly, no, you can not breathe in (aspirate) a mouthful of food without coughing violently as it reaches the top of the larynx. You would know about it bigtime if a mouthful of food went down your airways. The automatic closing of the airways with the epiglottis is triggered as food moves towards the back of the tongue. In those without any swallowing problems (dysphagia) the coughing reflex is strong, just as it is meant to be, to stop foreign bodies entering the airways.

Thirdly, don't lie down on your back whilst eating, it can make you choke lol

Nope if I even inhale a crumb I start choking profusely this is just an intrusive thought push past it.

Thread Information