Lately I've been having really bad bouts of dissociation, I've rang ambulances in the past because I've been so terrified of the feeling I get. Everytime it happens I convince myself that I am going to die. I don't remember much of what happens when I come out of my dissociated state but people around me explain to me that I shout and that I appear very fearful. Obviously when this happens I am terrified. I will be doing a normal daily task/activity then suddenly I will get waves of dissociation and go "in and out" of the dissociation.

When I start to dissociate my whole body becomes numb, everything around me becomes unfamiliar and walls look like they're shrinking around me and then all of a sudden I feel like I leave my body and I no longer have no control of what I am doing or saying. I can see what I am doing through my eyes and I can hear myself speaking but I am no longer in control. My initial thought is to get help, whether that is ringing a family member, friend or in some cases 999. Sometimes I manage to post-pone ringing someone if I feel like I am able to calm myself down. After I have calmed down I will remain in the dissociative state for hours or sometimes days or weeks. I feel when I am in this state I loose track of time and memory.

My doctor suggested I use this forum, I just wanted to know if anyone else experiences this and what coping mechanisms you use. I try breathing techniques and grounding techniques but I am normally panicking too much to concentrate and it is too late to bring myself out of my dissocative state by using the techniques that I know. I would be greatful if anyone would be able to give me some advice or reassure me that I am not alone in how I feel. Thank you.