Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting HIV or Hep C from period blood on a toilet seat?

Getting HIV or Hep C from period blood on a toilet seat?

Today I had a situation where I walked into my workplace bathroom and as I was wiping the seat before sitting down, I noticed something that appeared to be blood at the inner tip of the seat. Basically, it seemed like a previous visitor who apparently was on her period had accidentally left some on the seat. "No big deal, it's just the toilet seat" I thought and I wiped it away before sitting down and doing my business. I don't recall much else in detail because it seemed like a regular trip to the bathroom. Obviously, half an hour later, the panic started. Would I have been at risk at contracting HIV or Hepatitis C from coming in contact with the blood by sitting on it, my genitals coming in contact with it or touching it in any other way?

I keep stressing out about touching it with my hand when wiping it. I also worry whether I washed my hands after wiping it - I must've, but I don't remember. I have a habit of picking my nose as well and it was slightly bleeding today - I'm scared of somehow having done that after touching the blood.

Could the blood on the seat carry any risk of infecting me with HIV or Hep C?

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: Getting HIV or Hep C from period blood on a toilet seat?

I can see your "infection" anxiety goes back at least a couple of years so I would ask what help you're getting to overcome your HA?

Re your question: We all come into contact with potentially nasty viruses/infections every day, yet very few of us get infected - especially in the way you describe.

Never Surrender, Comrade

I've actually had less and less HA episodes over the past year and today's incident triggered it. The thing is, this time I'm 100% sure it was blood and it makes the situation scarier.

I got my courage up and took a single blood test last June - it all came back clean and I never once doubted the results. Sadly, I cannot test myself right now since this incident happened today.

There is zero chance that you could catch either of those from a toilet seat. Neither of these are transmitted this way. You're fine.

I've always read that toilet seats never transmit these diseases, however, they don't seem to take into account the possible presence of blood on the seat, which my female coworker apparently left there.

Hiv dies outside the body almost instantly and hep c well you are prasuming this person has these to start with do you know her i bet she would be pleased you feel so highly of her lmao the chances are remote to zero i would only panic if you work in a crack house or a place with bad personal hygenie or bad habits worse than toilet seat behaviour

Quote Originally Posted by UnhappyWorrier View Post
    I've always read that toilet seats never transmit these diseases, however, they don't seem to take into account the possible presence of blood on the seat, which my female coworker apparently left there.
    No you can't contract either of these conditions from a toilet seat because (as the others) said the virus is dead...there has never been a documented case where this alone has happened.

I don’t think badly of anyone, I’m sure everyone here at work is nice, anyone can catch these diseases, you don’t have to be a bad person.

Logically I understand they’re impossible to contract when the virus is outside the body, however, I’m still anxious. Realistically, what would be the quickest I could get a test for both of these diseases and rest my mind? I’ve read that 3 months is the surest time, but I don’t want to worry for so long...

Quote Originally Posted by UnhappyWorrier View Post
    Logically I understand they’re impossible to contract when the virus is outside the body, however, I’m still anxious.
    And that's the real illness here. What you logically understand is reality. Tests are just feeding the dragon until the next time he gets hungry. This would be a good chance to say no to feeding him

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

You are right. It’s just difficult to deal with the what ifs and the fact that I don’t remember what exactly I touched, whether I had any cuts on my hands (I have dry skin), etc. In my mind, I see blood as an instant danger, despite the fact that it’s outside the body.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information