Thread: anyone else taken Stemetil for dizziness - i have had vertigo/dizziness/poor balance

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

anyone else taken Stemetil for dizziness - i have had vertigo/dizziness/poor balance

HI lovely people. I have had vertigo symptoms last few days, feeling dizzy, off balance, pressure in head and generally feeling funny in my head. I have been prescribed stemetil by my GP but yes you have guessed it I am too scared to take it for fear of side effects.. I have to go for an MRI of my neck this Sunday but wont be able to get it done if I cannot get rid of this as wont be able to lie flat. I am not keen on having an MRi anyway but need some reassurance to help me. Please can you help??

Re: anyone else taken Stemetil for dizziness - i have had vertigo/dizziness/poor bala

I was trying to edit my post but it deleted it!?! Using from my mobile.

I'll try and remember what I posted before and also add further info

This is a risk vs benefit scenario as it is with all rx drugs. Your doctor has done this for you and concluded treatment is best.

Prochlorperazine is well tolerated and if I had £1 for every script I've seen for it, I'd be on the rich list

Stay off drug review sites. They're full of people who have had a symptom on the drug and suddenly concluded it was the drug, rather than say, a vomiting bug or whatever.

Drugs are constantly subject to review by MHRA. In the back of the BNF we can submit a yellow card if we suspect a drug has caused a reaction. This is then compiled and if there's a trend found, the drug is either updated cautioned or removed.

Prochlorperazine has been around a long while. You'll be fine

Good luck

Re: anyone else taken Stemetil for dizziness - i have had vertigo/dizziness/poor bala

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply I greatly appreciate it.. I will try and be brave and take them. It seems I may have Meniere's disease so I might need them again in the future unfortunately ..

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Quote Originally Posted by sammiej123 View Post
    HI lovely people. I have had vertigo symptoms last few days, feeling dizzy, off balance, pressure in head and generally feeling funny in my head. I have been prescribed stemetil by my GP but yes you have guessed it I am too scared to take it for fear of side effects.. I have to go for an MRI of my neck this Sunday but wont be able to get it done if I cannot get rid of this as wont be able to lie flat. I am not keen on having an MRi anyway but need some reassurance to help me. Please can you help??
    It is a safe med to take short-term for problems such as those you're experiencing. You should be OK

Never Surrender, Comrade

My mum takes it and she is fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by sammiej123 View Post
    Yes, I've had Stemetil on and off for dizziness over the past 25+ years and no side effects

Thread Information