Thread: Resting pulse rate suddenly dropping from mid 70s /almost 80 to 60bpm.

Resting pulse rate suddenly dropping from mid 70s /almost 80 to 60bpm.

I will admit that I am not the healthiest of people, I eat ok, but exercise is not very often, I just sit on my backside most of the day as my depression and anxiety is just so mentally and physically draining. About 6 days ago I had symptoms of what what felt like a major panic attack which hit me out of nowhere. As I shut my eyes to sleep, my heart just suddenly started to race and beat out of my chest. It scared me, caused me to get up and take my blood pressure, which the machine also functions as a bpm/ heart rate taker. The BP was normal, but my resting pulse was 110!, dropping to 90 about 30 minutes later.
    A day later it had dropped to the low 60s - which it has never been, up again to the normal 70s for the next few days, and tonight it is back in the low 60s. Now for years it has been around the mid 70s / almost 80 if I don't do any exercise at all. I really don't know what could be going on.

BP is normal, my Kardia ecg is normal. Can this be anxiety related?

Re: Resting pulse rate suddenly dropping from mid 70s /almost 80 to 60bpm.

If you measure you heart rate at 110bpm after having a panic attack and then getting up to take your BP/pulse, it is NOT a resting heart rate. Not even close.

Everything you describe can be attributed to anxiety and/or being sedentary.

I used to be sedentary too for similar reasons, and found the more I lived that lifestyle, the less stable my heart rate was. The solution is to go for a walk a couple of times a day whether I feel like it or not. It really helps your heart 'remember' what it's supposed to be doing, and stabilises the heart rate overall. Exercise will help with the anxiety and depression too. You don't have to push hard for it to be effective.

Re: Resting pulse rate suddenly dropping from mid 70s /almost 80 to 60bpm.

Mood, digestion, tiredness and other things can all slow the heart rate. Even holding your breath as you take your pulse can do it. If you feel otherwise okay, then the slower heart rate is fine.

Did the racing heart start and stop suddenly?

Thread Information