Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Possibly exposed to the flu :(

Possibly exposed to the flu :(

Well I spent an hour today sitting next to and interacting with a young child who I just learned is now sick with a fever and what could possibly be the flu. The flu is my HA trigger, and my child has respiratory issues that could make getting the flu complicated. I feel like I have bad luck. Now this on top of my tooth and possibly root canal (and a whole other host of bad stuff going on in my life) - and I'm just overwhelmed.

Re: Possibly exposed to the flu :(

Sorry you're having a rough day Hope tomorrow is better.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

That sucks. But, if you got a flu shot chances are you'll fine. It's working really well this year. Last year my husband, daughter, and I spent the day with a little girl who was coughing all over the house and was diagnosed with the flu the next day and none of us got it. My then 3 year old was playing with the same toys and then eating with her hands, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by ErinKC View Post
    That sucks. But, if you got a flu shot chances are you'll fine. It's working really well this year. Last year my husband, daughter, and I spent the day with a little girl who was coughing all over the house and was diagnosed with the flu the next day and none of us got it. My then 3 year old was playing with the same toys and then eating with her hands, etc...
    Wow that happened last year?

Jules. I’m so sorry. You seem like me. Hard to put into words but I don’t worry unless something really happens, like a toothache or a sick kid with me. I don’t just make stuff up. But as we all know we do worry about it too much. Try to reassure yourself that you will deal with the flu if you get it . And if you do you will catch it early and get tamiflu. Erin is right, you may never get it, the vaccine is working great this season.
    Hugs.

Quote Originally Posted by cofo View Post
    Jules. I’m so sorry. You seem like me. Hard to put into words but I don’t worry unless something really happens, like a toothache or a sick kid with me. I don’t just make stuff up. But as we all know we do worry about it too much. Try to reassure yourself that you will deal with the flu if you get it . And if you do you will catch it early and get tamiflu. Erin is right, you may never get it, the vaccine is working great this season.
    Hugs.
    You are right. For the most part I don’t worry about stuff that isn’t real- except the flu admittedly. I worry nonsensically about it every year. But this is potentially a real exposure. I appreciate the reminder Erin about the vax. I know the kid today did not have it and we all do.

A few things in your favor-
    Most people (I think) just get hit with the flu out of the blue.
    You have the "luxury" of knowing you were exposed so at the FIRST sign of symptoms you can get an antiviral if you so chose and knock that sucker out!
    Second, since you know, start some multivitamins, increase water intake, spinach and blueberries, etc.
    Third, flu is not that bad. I was terrified of it for years. My kids got confrimed cases young , they started Tamiflu and were litterally running around happy as could be 24 hours later. Could not believe it.
    I had it 2 years ago, spent 3 days in bed with gatoraid, motrin and netflix. My hubby got quality time with the littles, most time I have had to myself in years lol
    If you had the shot, its a match this year so you can expect much milder symptoms.

I’m trying to stay positive but am quietly freaking out that I will get it (and then my child).

So I am just getting over the flu. It’s a huge trigger for me too and I haven’t had it in years! I take the flu shot every year as I work in healthcare. I am always extra vigilant during flu season at cleaning and hand washing but somehow I got it. But..... I’m ok. Honestly it wasn’t horrible. The first couple of days was yuck with aches and mild fever but not horrible. Funnily enough, while having the actual flu, I wasn’t even as terrified as I expected I would be. By day 3 I was lots better. Today is day 4 and I feel nearly all better. I also took the new antiviral, Xofluza. Expensive but that coupled with the flu shot, made this not too bad. If you get it, you’ll get an antiviral and you’ll be fine. Take some extra precautions with your child for the next few days. But all will be ok.

So glad you’re ok Jamie! Interesting re xofluza. I’d never heard of it. My doctor does not recommend taking Tamiflu/antiviral actually saying it only reduces flu by a day and can have some serious side effects. So if I do get flu I wasnt planning on taking antiviral. I need to ask her about this one.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information