Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why no cure!?!

Why no cure!?!

Seriously. I'd give anything for a cure to stop panic attacks. The worst....

I keep saying I wish my wife could experience just 1 attack to get an appreciation of what i go through when I have an attack.

Worst of all I'm getting them in the middle of the night now and feel even more helpless and alone.

Come on doctors of the world. Find a cure!!

Re: Why no cure!?!

The cure is there, its inside yourself, not with a doctor. By reading, understanding, following cbt-type techniques and retraining your thoughts about panic attacks you can banish them. What did if for me, and I'm boring as I've said this so many times, is the old Claire Weekes books. Panic attacks don't kill, they are a temporary high adrenaline state with all its associated physicological changes. Talking yourself through them with phrases such as 'So, a panic attack, it'll pass soon...I'll get on with something else till it does', 'I'll accept this and not be scared of it, as it can do nothing to me', 'ah here we are, as expected a panic attack, well nobody dies from them so neither will I',will make it disappear so much quicker. Its when you remain afraid of them and adrenaline keeps on increasing that the problem arises. Lose the fear. Make a list on paper, stick it to the fridge of phrases like this, if panic appears then read them out loud, repeat and repeat.

It takes practice, effort and repetition to reassure yourself and start being able to curtail them. Many people look to others for 'cures' and want it magiced away, but the good news is that you have ownership of this, you have the power and ability within yourself.You aren't a victim of something that is outside your control. Is it easy to 'cure'? For some it is quick and successful with no blips, for some it takes effort for a long period of time, it takes courage and stead-fast sticking to the retraining approach. Just like giving up smoking, or similar, some drop back into allowing panic to take hold. I had my first panic attack at 12 years old and years of them controlling me;I am now 50 and I'd be lying if I didn't say they appeared now and again. However, armed with years of experience and skills in dealing with them, including not avoiding situations where they have occurred, I can squish them quickly (not fight them! but allow them to be till they pass). Instead of being scared of them, now they just p[&%$ me off Look up some books from the stickies or articles on this thread?

https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/books

Last edited by Carys; 03-03-19 at 14:10.

Carys is 100% correct.

You cannot expect an external cure for a problem that we help curate and feed in our minds. You need to look at your lifestyle, your habitual reaction to anxiety, your diet, your exercise routines etc etc. All these things contribute to stressing your mind and body into an anxious state.

"You aren't a victim of something that is outside your control."

This phrase in particular is the one key thing to remember. Anxiety is self perpetuating.

Thanks for that reply, I think I needed to hear that. I've just had such a jump in attacks over the last few weeks and that horrible feeling of dread is just hanging about me constantly.

The thing to remember here is that anxiety can easily become self sustaining.

Try and figure out what caused the anxiety jump. More stress at work, less sleep, have you been ill, are you exercising more? Any of those things (and a million other things) can stress your CNS and cause more anxiety.

The best thing to do is spend more time relaxing, meditating, going for walks, deep breathing etc. Whatever works best for you to calm down the CNS, and just keep doing that over and over again. Tell yourself that it's 'just' anxiety, and that it will pass.

They're very common at night. I used to get them a lot and eventually learned to just get up, have a pee (you know you will....), accept the pounding heart rate and calmly get back into bed and let it pass. It's the reaction that's the key to recovery.

Sometime it's hard to zone out when the panic kicks in. I was ok for a few attacks at the start of the year but the regularity is really getting to me.

Oh it's hard for sure, but that's why you need to practice

Take some time out by yourself and figure out when your anxiety started to get worse when you figure out what started it off you can decide what to do about it and that should help you get back some control over it.

It started to get worse going from 10mg to 5mg of Escitilopram. Maybe I wasn't ready to come off them?

I've cut out caffeine and alcohol completely and trying to get put and about more. Job stress has increased with a promotion but I don't mind that, I worry more about the next panic attack than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin44 View Post
    It started to get worse going from 10mg to 5mg of Escitilopram. Maybe I wasn't ready to come off them?

I've cut out caffeine and alcohol completely and trying to get put and about more. Job stress has increased with a promotion but I don't mind that, I worry more about the next panic attack than anything else.
    Well there's your answer.

The key now is to accept the panic attacks. The more you worry about them, the more they'll happen.

It's probably worth noting that even though you don't mind the work stress, your CNS might.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information