Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Why no cure!?!

Re: Why no cure!?!

Good stuff! You accepted it was happening and carried on, also doing something else to distract (read a sheet from here). Panic attacks aren't nice, but the more you do this, over time, they will become shorter and easier to curtail. Congrats on a first step.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin44 View Post
    That's sounds pretty bad, I wish you all the luck in the world.

I had an attack kick in today and tried to use the advise given. I was at lunch after a walk and my HR felt high, did my best to ignore it but did excuse myself and went outside for 5 mins and counted to 100. Read the panic attack advise sheet from off here and it soon passed. Still not great having one and a couple of occasions I let my mind wander to the 'what if' scenarios but did my best to remember all advise given.

Its not nice but at the same time I feel like that was a very small step not wallowing in self pity.
    These are the important bits to remember. But I'd also like to point out that reacting to panic isn't wallowing in self pity. The self pity part (and we all did it at some point) is that you feel like you're the only one that understands and the only one that's ever suffered this way. It ain't, there are thousands and thousands of us.

"It soon passed" is the thing to remember every time. Let it happen, let it go. Practice doing that EVERY time, probably for months. That's what will cure it, not trying to get everybody do understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra1980 View Post
    At least you can have a relationship I have had panic attacks since the age of 4 and I worked for 10 years which gave me severe panic attacks I am now 52 and have never had a relationship I just managed the best I could until I had a breakdown now I can't work I'm on disability and medication to stop me having panic attacks because if I have just one more it would finish me off for good.
    I realise even more now how much my previous comments were quite ridiculous having read this post again. I can't even comprehend what you must have gone through over your lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin44 View Post
    I realise even more now how much my previous comments were quite ridiculous having read this post again. I can't even comprehend what you must have gone through over your lifetime.
    I suppose I just adapted to living with it because having anxiety and panic attacks from such a young age I didn't know any different because being like that is just normal for me it did severely affect my life though but now I'm on disability I'm just enjoying the rest.
    Last edited by Sandra1980; 31-05-19 at 20:53.

I've been reading the online CBT program at the top of this forum and it's been a great help. No idea how I never spotted this sooner.

Recognise. Catch it. Get on with my day.

I'm now stopping the crazy thoughts right as they come in. Still need more practice as I'm still doing some safety behaviours.

Early hours of the morning I woke up, mental dream. The past few months that would have meant a full blown attack but I recognised what was happening. Yes my heart rate was up slightly and my body was tingling but kicked the covers off and let the thoughts and panic waves come. It came to nothing and I fell back asleep quite quickly.

Hopefully the start of me working to live with this better.

This is awesome! So glad to hear your hard work is paying off.

Really pleased to hear this !!!

That's good accepting it is part of you is a big step in learning to live with it and you develop your own ways of coping with it.

I hope no one minds if I use this thread to update and give other people some belief in the power you have within yourself.

So its 4.25am as I post and I was awoke with my cat wanting out to chase the singing birds.

I felt that instant and very fast heartbeat and straight away the silly thoughts about what might happen begin to flood my mind. I then start to talk under my breath...

Its adrenaline...
    It cant last forever....
    Let's ride this out....
    No thoughts of what if....its so what...

Within less than a minute that adrenaline rush began to fade and what would have been a massive panic attack and probably waking my wife up for support came and went so quick.

Over the past few weeks I've been pushing myself more to feel uncomfortable in certain situations. I've stopped many safety behaviours and going to my safe positions. It's been a big help.

I knew a big dump of panic was still around the corner but I'm treating this as one of those times and I've dealt with it.

I still have my screenshot off this website and still read the CBT books so I don't forget how to deal with this. Still thanks again to the people who replied to this thread and said some harsh words, that was really what I needed to hear.

Bingo

Well done

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information