Thread: Any blood test 'experts' out there?

Any blood test 'experts' out there?

I know this isn't the forum for health professionals...but posting here is better than me Googling my concerns!

Long story short, I've had a hip/quad/glute issue for two months now...I've seen a few physios and one suspects stress fracture so I'm trying to sort an MRI. It's gradually got better (I couldn't walk at one point) but if I run for more than 10 minutes, it's back to hurting the next day. It doesn't hurt when I'm inactive. BUT, obviously because I'm on this site...I'm concerned it's something more sinister, especially as now my back on the same side has started hurting.

I had a mega blood test about a month ago to give me some reassurance but I read everywhere (and by everywhere, I mean Google), that blood tests can't really tell you if anything scary is going on (and by that, I mean the Big C). Does anyone have any insight into whether a test like this (see below) would be a good indication of whether anything else was going on?

Haemoglobin
    HTC
    Red cell count
    MCV
    MCH
    MCHC
    RDW
    Platelet count
    MPV
    White cell count
    Neutrophillis
    Lymphocytes
    Monocytes
    Eosinophils
    Basophils
    ESR
    Sodium
    potassium
    Chloride
    UREA
    CREATININE
    ESTIMATED GFR
    BILIRUBIN
    ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE
    ASPARTATE TRANSFERASE
    ALANINE TRANSFERASE
    LHD
    CK
    GAMMA GT
    TOTAL PROTEIN
    ALBUMIN
    GLOBULIN
    CALCIUM
    Phosphate
    Uric acid
    Iron
    TIBC
    TRANSFERRIN SATURATION
    CORRECTED CALCIUM
    FASTING BLOOD GLUCOSE
    Fasting triglycerides
    Fasting cholesterol
    HDL % of total
    LDL Cholesterol
    Non-hdl cholesterol
    HDL cholesterol
    Ferritin
    Thyroid stimulating hormones
    Free thyroxine

Re: Any blood test 'experts' out there?

You have had a rather extensive work-up blood test wise

But there really wasn't any need - cancer pain doesn't come and go, get worse then get better. It's progressive - it gets worse and worse and worse. You don't describe that

Good luck

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle

If you are concerned that it could be something along the lines of sarcoma, then no. I don't think that any of these blood tests will reveal a localized (early stage) sarcoma.

Not to scare you, but for a full disclosure. A friend of mine had hip lump and pain for a few weeks, was misdiagnosed as having a muscle tear, sent to physical therapy which didn't help. Finally his wife dragged him to have some sort of imaging (not sure might have been just a simple x ray at first) and it revealed a tumor. Turned out to be a very rare cartilage sarcoma in his hip joint, at the age of 28. I AM NOT IMPLYING THAT YOU HAVE THIS, and this is truly a very rare situation. But, if the pain is getting worse, or if you see a lump that is growing, it might be wise to have it imaged.

^^^Not helpful^^^ :( The dragon will devour that!

While it's true that blood work may not show all cancers, it will show anomalies and markers that combined with symptoms warrant further investigation. As was said and I'll reiterate...

Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it starts.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post

Cancer is an uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells. It doesn't come and go nor does it stop once it starts.

Positive thoughts
    Yes, I need to emphasize that my friend had pain that was constant and getting gradually worse, AND he had a lump that was visibly growing. He was a very tough guy but it got so bad, he could barely walk. This doesn't seem to be the OPs situation at all. I would just give it a few more weeks to heal, these sorts of injuries can take many months to completely go away.

PS. Why did I say that he "WAS"? He still is, 10 years later doing great. Even a relatively grim diagnosis like this doesn't have to be a death sentence.

It's gradually got better
    Thats all you need to know,thats the primary point of importance in everything you had stated.

Yes, I need to emphasize that my friend had pain that was constant and getting gradually worse, AND he had a lump that was visibly growing. He was a very tough guy but it got so bad, he could barely walk. This doesn't seem to be the OPs situation at all. I would just give it a few more weeks to heal, these sorts of injuries can take many months to completely go away.

PS. Why did I say that he "WAS"? He still is, 10 years later doing great. Even a relatively grim diagnosis like this doesn't have to be a death sentence.
    Thats good to hear! You are right it doesn't relate to the OP really, as theirs is getting better and they can only 'run for 10 minutes' (I wish !), but also it is always positive to hear people say 'even the C diagnosis doesn't mean a death sentence'.

You lovely people - thanks for your responses. Pain has definitely improved form early January when I couldn't walk without limping. It doesn't hurt when I'm stationary or at night, just if I've exercised. I cycled last week everyday with no issues so optimistically thought I'd try a run...10 minutes turned into half-an-hour ("Hello, my name is <insert> and I'm a run-aholic) and then the pain came back. It's infuriating. It's been two months.

All the blood markers were normal and the three that were outside of the range were of "no clinical concern"...one of which was 'creatine kinase' which I believe is to do with muscle damage...so guess that sort of makes sense.

If anyone has any muscle related injuries that sound like the original post, please do share!

Thanks again folks. Yours in anxiety.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thread Information