Thread: Should I start taking BEFORE I find the proper help

Should I start taking BEFORE I find the proper help

(I'm in the states btw)

I found a psychiatrist but he just asked me how I sleep, I said alright. He asked me how I eat, I said enough. He said why do I need his help, I said my interpersonal relationships seem to be suffering. He said okay you seem like you have depression and anxiety, let me give you Citalopram. (He actually didn't tell me he was giving it to me, he just said 'i'll prescribe you something' then hurried me out of his office--i spent maybe three minutes in there, it was my first consultation of any sort).

Now this doesn't seem like the right help for me. I was prescribed this about a month ago but have yet to go pick up the script, because I'm nervous to start taking this because 1) I wasn't told anything about it at all, not even the name. I had to call and figure that out myself, then look up side effects on my own.
    2) I don't know if I'll be able to find another doctor to fill it again, and so if I don't go back to this joke of doctor, I'm afraid I'll start to have withdrawals.

So what I want to know is 1) Should I start to take the medication even though I feel the doctor who prescribed it didn't really do his due research?
    2) Is it even worth it to take it for a month, will I be worse off if I can't find another psychiatrist by the time it's due to be filled again?

Re: Should I start taking BEFORE I find the proper help

What did you decide to do?
    It's not really worth just taking for a month as it takes weeks to start working properly.
    Possibley a good idea to speak to another doctor?
    Although if you've started it I'd imagine it would be easy to get another prescription from another doctor (it would be in the UK I think).

Re: Should I start taking BEFORE I find the proper help

Quote Originally Posted by Soda View Post
    (I'm in the states btw)

I found a psychiatrist but he just asked me how I sleep, I said alright. He asked me how I eat, I said enough. He said why do I need his help, I said my interpersonal relationships seem to be suffering. He said okay you seem like you have depression and anxiety, let me give you Citalopram. (He actually didn't tell me he was giving it to me, he just said 'i'll prescribe you something' then hurried me out of his office--i spent maybe three minutes in there, it was my first consultation of any sort).

Now this doesn't seem like the right help for me. I was prescribed this about a month ago but have yet to go pick up the script, because I'm nervous to start taking this because 1) I wasn't told anything about it at all, not even the name. I had to call and figure that out myself, then look up side effects on my own.
    2) I don't know if I'll be able to find another doctor to fill it again, and so if I don't go back to this joke of doctor, I'm afraid I'll start to have withdrawals.

So what I want to know is 1) Should I start to take the medication even though I feel the doctor who prescribed it didn't really do his due research?
    2) Is it even worth it to take it for a month, will I be worse off if I can't find another psychiatrist by the time it's due to be filled again?
    I wouldn't take it on that quick diagnosis.
    I'd be talking to another doctor.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Thread Information