Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting on citalopram today- scared

Starting on citalopram today- scared

Hi
    I've been prescribed citalopram today and im terrified to take it. I have no choice tho as my anxiety and panic attacks have got so bad, particularly health anxiety. im going to start on 10mg for 2 weeks and then up to 20mg. anyone got any positive stories or simply want to share this journey with me?

Re: Starting on citalopram today- scared

Citalopram has given me my life back; it's been wonderful.

Things I'd say to watch out for:

* Fatigue. This was definitely the big one, five months on I still sleep more than I did. In context, though, that means I'm getting seven hours a night rather than five and a half.
    * Spacy, drunken feeling - only lasted a couple of days for me, then again when I upped my dosage from 10mg to 20mg
    * Nausea - lasted around a week. Not pleasant but definitely manageable.
    * Intolerance to spicy foods - only applicable because my normal diet is very, very heavy on the chilli front. Basically I got/get burning pains when I consume decent quantities of ultrahot peppers.
    * Dreams - Very vivid, often involving senses other than sight and hearing. Occasionally disturbing, frequently thought provoking, tends to feel more like a perk than a side effect.

Everybody's journey is different, but I really think you'll be okay.

Thank you so much for responding blue iris. I'm having a terrible day. called in sick to work and went to doc. had a panic attack and meltdown at doc. Felt really dizzy afterwards and been in bed ever since looking up citalopram on my phone! terrified how I'm going to cope with work and looking after my kids. feel like I'm in a right mess. I'm hoping the dizziness and cold water sensations I've been getting are part of my anxiety too and that citalopram will help. I feel at such a loss and so scared.

I really hope it works for you like it did for me. I went from being crippled by anxiety and feeling utterly hopeless to loving my life. I still have the health anxiety, a little, but since I went up to 20mg I don't think I've had a single panic attack.

I had a really bad experience with paroxetine about 18 years ago and I never wanted to use another SSRI again, but in the end I got desperate and citalopram has genuinely been one of the best things to ever happen to me.

Feel free to PM me if you ever want to chat, okay?

Do you have tranquilizers you can take to get you through the adjustment period of the citalopram? I'm not even sure what that is but I was terrified to start taking Prozac 25 years ago and yes, the side affects were pretty bad, and I was young, working, and raising two children. I managed, and you will, too. but my doc gave me Xanax to help get me through the first few weeks.
    Sue

Thank you for your reply. no they didn't offer valium or anything unfortunately. I also have a job and 2 very young children so I hope I'll be ok. but I have to try as I'm barely functioning now some days.

Ok day 2 now. I take tablet at 7pm (10mg). I've been very tired today, headache, pressure in head and around sinuses and dizziness but a lot of this could be from anxiety. ive also had increased anxiety and panic but not too bad. I hope it makes me feel better soon. I think I'm hoping for a miracle cure but I know it's not that

Day 4 now and I think things are improving

Day 7 now. can't say I feel much different. wondering whether to increase to 20mg now or wait another week

I'd say to give it another week, give the 10mg time to work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information