Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Starting on citalopram today- scared

Re: Starting on citalopram today- scared

Glad to hear you're feeling a little better now - sorry it took so long.

Thanks Blueiris. Its def a slow process but then not really that long to wait in the grand scheme of things. I mean I'd been struggling badly with my anxiety for the past 18months and struggling for years really before that so 2-3 months is def worth the wait! x

ps I'm on 20mg. I'm not sure 10mg is a high enough dose. I took 10mg for first couple of weeks tho to reduce any side effects. I'm starting a job in mental health next month to help others as I feel so strongly about helping to end the stigma and reduce the burden of mental health issues on our wellbeing and ability to live fulfilled lives.

My post deleted, so here it is again:
    Hey. If anyone is reading my thread I just want to post an update to give hope. Citalopram has changed my life. I'm 4 months in now. I noticed the real change round about 3 months in. Please persevere with this, it is not a quick fix but so worth it in the end. The changes are slow and subtle and when you feel better you question whether it is the citalopram or something else as it's not an obvious change straight away. You just realise that you are feeling so much better, you're not getting those panic attacks every day, you're not feeling that constant anxiety anymore, you not worrying about that niggling health issue so much, work doesnt seem as stressful/ challenging/ scary anymore. you can actually cope! Dont get me wrong I still get anxiety and panic but less frequently. I'm getting my life back. I'm so much happier. I have more energy the world seems a more beautiful place. I have started driving a bit on motorways again and even drove abroad in France.
    The side effects of citalopram weren't really anything much at the beginning and a lot of it is anxiety about taking the tablets. A few days of side effects is def worth it! I dont haveany side effects now. the most notable effect was loss of libido and inability to climax. Sorry if tmi but I know this is a concern for a lot of people on ssris.
    But that lasted maybe 2 months and now libido has increased so much! probably cos I have more energy and I'm happy. no issues at all in that department, better than ever.
    Please just give this medication a go. give it 3 months, it takes longer than you think to feel the full benefits. Everyone is different of course and different meds work for different people, but as someone who has struggled with anxiety and panic for most of my life I think I do have a natural serotonin imbalance and this works for me.

Just wanted to say thank you for recording your journey as it has given me some hope that this initial period of pain is worth it to free myself of the anxiety I have suffered with for years off and on and when it is at its worst it is crippling. Only day 4 for me and the side effects have been 'interesting' to say the least. Worst bit is the increased anxiety - I knew it was likely, but the irony of it isn't funny!

Hi dragonsblonde. I know the increased anxiety at the beginning is horrible but stick with it, it's so worth it. maybe half your dose for a week or 2 x

Quote Originally Posted by suemarieee View Post
    Hi dragonsblonde. I know the increased anxiety at the beginning is horrible but stick with it, it's so worth it. maybe half your dose for a week or 2 x

How are you getting on now, suemarieee?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information