Thread: Getting off Propanolol - abruptly?!

Getting off Propanolol - abruptly?!

So I have been taking Propanolol 40mg since December, and all had been well until it was discovered that I have IBS. This IBS is triggered even more by my anxiety medication. I asked what to do about it to my Doctor and he said I could get off it like that! Now I'm rather confused and worried because it's plastered everywhere that you're supposed to taper off the dose. I stopped this evening and I'm now taking Sertraline. Whats going on?? Is it okay to do that??!

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: Getting off Propanolol - abruptly?!

Shouldn't cause any life-threatening withdrawal symptoms. Perhaps palps or fast heart rate for a while. I wouldn't worry.

Hope sertraline helps.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Yes, I too have only read online that you're supposed to slowly withdraw from propranolol, however we are not doctors (unless you are!) and your GP would not allow you to do something if it was dangerous. I've taken prop for a while now, if I miss a few (I'm forgetful) then I usually experience a higher heart rate and adrenaline bursts, nothing serious I guess. I'm on 3 x 40mg a day.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

How have you been since stopping them?

Sorry just want to come of them myself and scared of withdrawal but only been on them 5 days

If you've only been on them for five days then you really don't need to worry. I've taken propranolol for three months at a time and come off it without tapering with absolutely no harm.

Thread Information