Thread: Flap surgery

Flap surgery

Has anyone had this periodontal procedure? I'm starting to get bone loss so my dentist is insisting, I even got a second opinion. I get such bad anxiety before any kind of procedure and this is a series of 4, a month apart and a round of antibiotics after each one

Re: Flap surgery

Quote Originally Posted by erinjaye View Post
    Has anyone had this periodontal procedure? I'm starting to get bone loss so my dentist is insisting, I even got a second opinion. I get such bad anxiety before any kind of procedure and this is a series of 4, a month apart and a round of antibiotics after each one
    I've had lots of dental work done and judging by the sensitivity I'm having at the moment I'm going to need more. As somebody with anxiety it takes a good few pushes to get me to the dentist but I can assure you that the most frighting part is the buildup and the anxiety. The actual procedures are not that bad at all. Although flap surgery sounds like it's going to be painful you're going to be numbed up and feel nothing. Afterwards there will be some discomfort but at that point the procedure is done and you'll have nothing more to worry about

Each time I've been I opted for sedation, and then when I get there I tell them I don't want it and just crack on. I'll sweat buckets, and be shaking, and my heart rate will sky rocket, but I know it's just anxiety and that it'll be over shortly and I'll be back home relaxing. Just make sure you got some pain medications at hand. I had 4 teeth removed, one was very tricky to remove and they damaged my gum but I managed to get through the pain and it lessened as the days went on. I didn't use the pain medications I just rode it out.

Honestly you're going to be fine. There's a great forum called Dental Fear if you Google it and they're very helpful on there. They were the people that got me into the dentist and helped me overcome my fear.

Edit: I notice you said it's one in a series of 4? By the time you've had the first one done you'll be well prepared and less anxious during the other procedures. Can you take somebody with you for support?

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” - Richard Feynman

☪️️

Re: Flap surgery

Thank youuuu! Going to check out that dental forum for sure!

Thread Information